'99 Yamaha 225hp OX66 issues

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just finished fixing the other problem i was having with my motor and have a new one. I just bought this boat a few months ago for those of you who dont know and its obvious I should service the engine to ensure im running with up to date maintenance.

We went out fishing on Sunday and boat started no problem, except, when the port engine is running, you see a small gasoline trail behind it in the water.

As we exited and went for an hour ride, we had trouble restarting the engine. She would crank but we couldnt get it to start. Finally got it started, drove home and as we were pulling in low throttle, she died out and wouldnt come back.

Anyone have any ideas?

My initial ideas and what im going to address first: new spark plugs and motor mounted fuel filter...

Also, I hear alot about ringfree, do you guys use it?

Thanks for all the help early on as I get used to an outboard, im a big newbie!! :<><

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I am new to these engines, but am fairly mechanical. I just completely serviced both of my 2000 OX66 250's. One thing I have learned is that these motors are relatively easy to work on, and most of their issues can be traced to fuel related issues.

Your engine has 3 low pressure fuel pumps on the port side of the engine. They are one on top of the other and have fuel lines attached to their tops and bottoms. Each one is held on by two screws. Remove the screws so they dangle by their fuel lines. Pump the fuel bulb and see if any gas comes out of any of them (usually from the backside). If you see any fuel, the pump has gone bad. They are around $50 a piece. If one is bad, I'd replace all three.....they are prone to failure.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The very first year after buying my new 272 (2000 with ox66 225's), I had a fuel pump go out. There is a fine membrane which apparently can tear and will cause the engine to stall or run slowly. Had another one go out ... therefore every 2-3 years I go ahead and replace all three on both engines. Because I fish offshore (40-60 miles), I do this for safety and to make sure I don't have any bad days. So far so good. You can order the low pressure pumps from your local shop however I get mine from Andy @ Shipyard (800-213-3323 parts@shipyardisland.com). He will hook you up and provide everything you need along with step-by-step directions for doing the job. Here's a link to his board on The Hull Truth web site -- http://www.thehulltruth.com/shipyard-is ... -parts-22/ .

I would also make sure to change all the filters, including the VST filter, and clean the 02 sensor.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The last guy from Maryland, who just posted above this, is dead on. I would like to add that if you are at all mechanical, do the job yourself. One and 1/2 hours tops. It would help if you have a 1/4" ratchet set, with a 6" extension. The smaller size makes it easier get to the bolts, and move the VST tank around. Not a super expensive job. It is one you will be happy to have done yourself.

CWOT

Reaction score
Is this problem and fix specific to all OX66. How about 225 4 strokes?

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Good question for which I have no idea. I would ask a dealer or Andy.

johnnyboy

Reaction score
I would like to thank all you guys for all your help with this issue. It contributed to helping us determine the ongoing issue with the motor.

So what was it? A combination of two things. As we took apart the fuel pumps, we noticed that they would leak as they dangled by their side except for one of them.
Thanks to the guy who mentioned disconnecting the vst to get to the middle pump.

After fixing that, we turned on the engine and she sounded beautiful. After putting motor cap on, i noticed that streak of fuel again and I was pissed.

FInally took off the engine cover and WALLA!!! There was a tear in my fuel line. After modifying that, we were off fishing. Believe it or not, this motor runs so good now, it seems like my other motor could use the same parts change which is happening once my parts come in from Andy.

Again thanks to all your replies!!

Some other quick questions or comments:

a) what kind of fiberglass repair kits do you guys like and used to help fix some nicks.

b) do you swear by ring free? I use star tron already.

c) I LOVE MY GRADY :dance

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
:goodjob Great to hear. Perhaps you accidently sliced the line while repairing the other issues. Very close quarters where the pumps and VST are. Regarding question a - I get the gel coat repair kit from Grady. For a few larger issues like a scrape in the bottom, I've had a professional handle the repair. RE: question b - No idea but have always used it and the premium plus oil from West Marine and engines still run great after 11 years. RE: c - ME TOO!