A Hull Lot Better

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No Salmondogs,

I sanded the hull with an orbital sander, compounding and buffing were done with a Dewalt 7" polisher and wool pad.

DEWALT Buffer/Polisher, Variable Speed, Soft Start, 7-Inch/9-Inch (DWP849X)
DEWALT Wool Buffing Pad and Backing Pad Kit, 7-Inch (DW4985CL)

Thank you for the kind compliment!

Lee

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ah, thanks for the clarification! What grits did you end up using? I've don't some buffing but I've never had a boat bad enough that it needed sanding...until now!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ah, thanks for the clarification! What grits did you end up using? I've don't some buffing but I've never had a boat bad enough that it needed sanding...until now!
Here ya go:
Finished tackling my 33 year old gelcoat restoration on the hull.
First sanded out medium scuffs with 320 grit sandpaper, then whole hull with 600 grit, washed down and scrubbed gelcoat with a scrub sponge.
Moved on to 1200 grit wet sand.
Then Vibra cut 1000 cutting compound, followed by 3m Finesse-It II, and lastly 2 coats of West Marine Paste Wax.
Special thanks to ROBERTH for some great tips! It wouldn't have turned out as nicely without his advice.

Reactions: Salmondogs

WreckDiver

Reaction score
Nice work! Love these old Grady's! Our Trophy 258 is 36, we had her re-done couple of years ago; transom, fuel tanks, stringers, thru-hulls and strainer and new sky blue awl grip below the rub rail. And yes, on mine top side is next too! It's only time and money, but worth it!
Nice Paint.jpgNice Paint fwd.jpg

Reactions: SkunkBoat

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice work! Love these old Grady's! Our Trophy 258 is 36, we had her re-done couple of years ago; transom, fuel tanks, stringers, thru-hulls and strainer and new sky blue awl grip below the rub rail. And yes, on mine top side is next too! It's only time and money, but worth it!
View attachment 10996View attachment 10997
Get er done WreckDiver, your hull looks awesome, mine was pure chalk all over before I dove in.

But I'm guessing the "36" is a typo?? LOL

WreckDiver

Reaction score
Well, 36 years old, it's an '83 Trophy Pro. When we did the transom and everything else it no longer ever fires up a bilge pump, we sit 3" higher in the water and we gained 8 MPH, from 32 to 40 with a single 300 Yammy. A hard top and get the top sides done and it's a new boat! Just rides better than new boats.

Reactions: leeccoll