A question for stand up gear users

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I was just given two Penn 80W reels in absolutely perfect shape. My question, are these reels too large to use as stand-up gear (114 oz each). I will be fishing for Blue Fin Tuna off the Massachusetts coast, Stellwagon Bank and Jefferies Ledge.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
I don't think so.
80W.jpg

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Were you using an 80 class reel? If so does if beat up your back or arms?
How much did the fish weigh in at?

Pez Vela

Reaction score
That's not me. Dennis Braid has made "stand-up" style fishing for large tuna his specialty, including those fish on the East coast. He's a major tackle manufacturer and sells all the necessary gear to handle an 80 class reel. His staff has all the answers for you. Here's his website ... check out the content/tips and techniques section.
http://www.braidproducts.com/

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 80 would be used more while seated in a cockpit chair but if you want to use it as a standup, spare no expense when buying a standup gimbel support and back harness..Hold the rod and think you could possibly be holding it for what could be 1/2 hr or more at a time with what seems like a freight train at the other end... :wink:

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With the right harness, all you have to do is bend your knees to pump the rod, crank the reel and guide the line on the reel. The harnesses that go across the back will KILL YOU. The reel strap should go across your butt and the gimbal locked in across your thighs. Oh yea, secure a line from the reel to a cleat in case something bad happens.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I fought a shark on an 80 during OakBluffs for 7 1/2 hours on stand up gear - it is all in the harness- get a good one and you will have no issues what so ever-
Tim

reelserious

Reaction score
Tashmoo said:
I was just given two Penn 80W reels in absolutely perfect shape. My question, are these reels too large to use as stand-up gear (114 oz each). I will be fishing for Blue Fin Tuna off the Massachusetts coast, Stellwagon Bank and Jefferies Ledge.

Tashmoo,

For the fish we are catching up here, typically footballs to likely 200 pound class fish next year, 50's and 50W's are, in my opinion, the better reels for standup gear. I typically run 30's and 50's. Given that you already have the 80's I would suggest bent butt rods matched with swivel rod holders on your boat. Baert can do the installation. Don't know the price though. If these fish continue to return each year, I know I will need to upsize in a few years as the fish will be mostly giant class versus last years 60 to 68 inch. By then you will be glad you have the 80's and swivel rod holders. That's my 2 cents anyway.

By the way....the picture above of the giant....unless I am mistaken, it looks like a Penn 50 reel on his rod.

fishinmission

Reaction score
80's stand up

I agree two nice swivel rod holders and the Correct size bent butts to match the rods holders you could go either way..

Give us a call if you have any questions ......If you load the reels with 200 lb braid or even 130 and the rest mono now you cab=n fight those fish and have line still left on your reels

631-225-5700

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your input.

I do plan to purchase a Braid Power Play or Brute Buster Harness. I understand this type of harness from years of wind surfing with a seat type harness, different application but same outcome, without it your arms would be spent in ten minutes. I will call Braid before I purchase to get the low down from them.

I also plan to purchase lighter gear but want to put the reels that were given to me to use. My conclusion is that with the right harness and used correctly the 80's are usable.

Thanks again, I will report back if I learn anything interesting from Braid.

kingfisher 77

Reaction score
I fish 80's stand up.Got two fish around 68"( CFL ) and was glad to have the gear.First fish was fought with a Braid set up ( belt and harness).Needless to say,I bought Alutechnos gear after that.Get yourself an Alutechnos gimbal belt and bucket harness and you'll be good to 300 lbs.or more.
Tight lines,Chris

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Chris,

What was wrong with the Braid harness? Or why do you prefer Alutechnos over Braid.

I just purchased two bent butt 50-100 lb Star Handcrafted rods today to use with the Penn 80 W’s. I tried out the combination in a harness and it felt fine, the harness takes the weight of the rod and reel.

bc282

Reaction score
i don't think bent butts work with stand up gear.
you can fight a fish on the gunnel or in a chair with a bent butt rod, but not in a stand up harness.

The weight of the rod/reel is not a real issue for stand up fishing with a proper harness.

As already mentioned, definitely avoid the back or kidney harness types and get one that utilizes your butt and legs to pump and lift the fish.

My favorite stand up harness is a Smitty long range fighting pad on the thighs coupled with OTR (Ocean tackle research) stand up harness.
it's amazing how much pressure you can put on a large fish when properly utilizing the rod, reel and harness. Fishing with 30+ pounds of drag is very doable with some individuals using a whopping 50# drag on 135# line.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
BC282,

All of the tuna gear shops in my area are pushing bent butts for stand-up. Apparently it is fairly new, at least around here. I tried out both and found that I had better rod & reel position and perhaps leverage with the bent butt. Bent butt was certainly more comfortable in the harness.

I also have been told by everyone that I have talked to, do not cheap out on a harness and buy a seat type not a back type. Thanks again for the input.

kingfisher 77

Reaction score
Tashmoo,

The Alutechnos belt has a socket which receives the butt.Also,the socket pivots on one axis.The Braid gear has a pin that receives the butt,What happened to me with one fish with the Braid set up was the rod slid side to side.While the movement wasn't much,it was enough to focus on controlling that.Now,your wasting energy and the fish has the advantage.With the Alutechnos gear,I found that wasn't an issue at all.Same size fish on the 80 was overmatched and I wanted to catch more !
I have also fished bent from the belt and really don't have a preference.But the bucket harness is the key allowing you to "sit" on the fish.
Hope I helped.
Best,Chris

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We fish SHORT bent butts with Penn 50SWs on our flat lines. We have used these standup on numerous occassions with some big fish.

I have found the short bent butts easier to control and position than the straight butts.

We have a long bent butt on our planer rod, and it could NOT be used with stand-up gear. It would work in a regular fighting chair, but we have to fish it from a swivel mount in the gunnel.