A way to run the Norcold TekII frige on AC power?

94Sailfish

Reaction score
Any suggestions how to run my frige on shore power? There is an AC outlet near it on my 94 Sailfish. Maybe I can tap into it with a converter of some type. Obviously, I would still want battery power to it when on the water. I could probably accomplish this by using a converter in conjunction with a single-pole, double-throw switch. This will sure save my accessory battery when trailered at home. I've read several posts that say batteries can be damaged by leaving the charger on all the time, although my Minn-Kota 3-bank, 30 amp shuts off automatically when the battery is full.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you leave a conventional multi-stage battery charger on all the time, that is rated much higher in ampere than running load, and there is load on the battery like a refrig that has a compressor cycling on and off, the battery charger is going to be confused figuring out what's going on, so it goes into it' s Phase I mode max voltage and will never come out of it. So the battery consumes long distance runner class water volume and gets beats up from overcharging, and early to RIP .

There are other types of battery chargers that are available suited to this purpose but are rare and of the ventilated type, which is no good for most of us Grady owners.

I have plenty of auxs running off my battery on overnighters, I only switch on the charger for a few hour spells at a time, twice a day.

I wrote this expanation for the beneifit of other members inclusive, just in case you are not particularly interested in the reasoning.

Someone else can handle alternatives to take care of the frig.
I was thinking of a LPG gas fired refrig, but will save that one for another day.

catch22

Reaction score
Stupid question, but.... are you sure it's not a dual, (ac/dc) fridge? You mentioned a near by ac outlet, so I'm assuming you have dockside power. Can't see them giving you a "dc" only fridge with dockside. If it is a dual unit, simply plug in your dockside ac, and the fridge will switch over automaticaly.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I have the norcold in my 265...
Installed a Pro Mariner 1230i plus charger.
It is intended to operate as a battery charger AND a power supply to support the fridge.
Worked closely with the technical team to select the correct charger for my application (3 banks, 4 batteries)
Good luck
Tim

jehines3

Reaction score
My Waeco fridge is primarily a DC fridge, but an optional AC converter was added from Waeco. Most of these are designed for Mairne and Tractor and Trailer use so they are primarily DC based. The AC to DC converter is fairly small and mounted to the top of the fridge near the compressor. Mine is plugged into the cabin outlet under the steps and it does auto switching. I usually leave my DC fridge breaker off and my cabin receptacle on. I'd rather not have my fridge draw my batteries down if I lose AC power. jh