A Year too early..

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
This time last year we started our search for our next Grady. We initially looked at the 275, but alas financing and resources were just not in the cards and decided upon the 228. I have no regrets buying the 228, did not look at the Journey 25, maybe should have.

Anyway, as I posted here earlier this week I am researching a good deal and fit for a spare prop. I went to the Yamaha website and looked at the new stuff for 2010. The all new guages are sweet, full color LCD systems you can customize. I like the night mode with black background with reverse numbers, very easy on the eyes. I was thinking, man, if I only waited a year I would have the electronic throttle control, the new command link guages and the improvements they made to the F250. There are always improvements to products and things with electronics change rapidly, but in my opinion the changes Yamaha made with their motor controls are significant from what is on my boat.

Wonder if the new gauges are compatible with motors manufactured in the fall of 2007 when my F250 was built? I will call Yamaha next week and see, just for kicks. :wink:

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
AND you would of been purchasing a first year edition that could be riddled with problems and make the boat worth less if it develops a really bad reputation-

Think about the guy in 1999 with twin 250 Salt water series motors on his boat "Man if I had just waited one year I could of got the NEW 250 or 300 HPDI's" We are all familiar with the troubled past of these motors!

Tim

georgemjr

Reaction score
There will always be something newer and greater. Believe me, the controls you have work flawlessly, and will for nearly forever. The gauges are fine. If you wait until the final latest greatest comes out, you'll never own anything and if you worry about what is around the corner you'll never be happy with what you got. Which, at this point, is at least 1 full season of great memories. Enjoyt it, let Yamaha work out the kinks on someone elses back. You can always upgrade in the future...

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I never liked the idea of being the guinea pig.. :wink:

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Yall are great. Thanks for the perpsective. :) I do really like my boat and motor. and, you are right, we did make alot of great family memories last sesaon. i am so looking forward to spring and getting out on the water.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
This past Fall I purchased a 2010 Tournament 275 with twin 150's and thought the same thing about the new V6 200's with electronic throttle controls and the new multi-color display. Then after speaking with a few people about how rock solid the 150's are and that they are some of Yamaha's best performing and most reliable engines (after the balancer issues were taken care of) I realized that buying version 1.0 of any product is dangerous given that for those of us who boat in the Northeast it's a very short season and I don't want any downtime. While the new 200's, 250's and 300's will be great engines, I think I'll wait until repower time or when I move up to my next GW.

Bama96

Reaction score
No 200 HP yet. Only 225,250, and 300 in 25" shafts. There is a 20" VMAX 200 SHO but not intended for offshore use. By the way this is not brand new technology like the HPDIs were. This is the same technology we are running on the current F250s just in a lighter package. Will these new plasma line sleeves hold up? We shall see. But I would not be afraid of these new motors. By the way they are reintroducing the old F250 for repower of older boats with the standard controls. Will keep someone with older Yamahas from dropping the extra coin for all new controls.