ACR vs Auxiliary Charge Cable?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ya'll got me thinking about this.

My 2004 F225 has the ability to add the aux cable and charge another battery, just need to buy the cable. I've had the electronics blink when starting up after all day drifting with FF/GPS, Am/Fm, and occasional wash down and baitwell pump running. I keep my batteries charged so if I need power to start, I'll switch to BOTH on the battery switch.

Always charging both when running would be a good thing. Running out on BOTH on switch would charge the batteries somewhat but probably not as good as the aux cable on battery 2 and switch set to battery 1.

Which is the better option between the ACR and the aux cable?

Thanks

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had great luck with the auxiliary charge cable on my old F250. My batteries lasted over 7 years and the house battery stay charged just fine with the switch in the #1 position. The thing I liked best about that setup is that I could switch to either battery and check the voltage. With my ACR and Add a Battery switch, all I see is the voltage of the starting battery.

It is possible to rig an ACR with a traditional 4 position switch, but that's not how the guy who rigged my new motor did it.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have the AUX charging cable on my Scout and I use it to keep my #2 battery which is also use as one of my trolling motor batteries charged. Works great for me.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I use the aux charging relay - and so did the previous owner. Very happy with that - and keeps things simpler.

I also use a manual battery switch (1-2-Both-Off) and really like that for the simplicity, as well.

FYI... if one battery is too low to start your engine, switch to the other battery, NOT to 'both'. If you switch to 'both', the good battery will be trying to start the engine AND charge the bad battery at the same time. No reason to make the good one work harder than it should.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky Grady