Actual weight of 300 marlin

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
To those planning to haul your Marlin; make sure your hitch assembly is rated to adequately tow the load your planning for. You would've thought my Dodge dually would've been equipped properly, but it came with a 3500 LB hitch from the factory. (I bought it new.) I had to go up to a Class 5, I believe: That hitch was rated at 17K. Don't forget to upgrade your 2" 5/16 ball and insert as well. I ordered a 17K package for that.

Your only as safe as your weakest link; None of the rest of it matters if the hitch or ball insert gives way.

This is probably the most important comment said here so far.

The F550 I used to tow with came from Ford with a 10k lb hitch if you can believe that, my company obviously upgraded to class V hitches. The largest boats I used to trailer regularly all had BoatMaster trailers, a very well trusted brand of trailer. BM only put brakes on 2 of the three axles which was legal in Florida where they are built but is illegal in Washington State, where I was based out of. We ended up having to retrofit all the trailers nation wide due to them being illegal in many other jurisdictions. Finally the largest boat I regularly towed was shipped from the manufacturer with a 2 5/16 ball hitch BM trailer, she was a big girl, scale weight was 24k lbs with a full tank on the trailer. Which depending on who you talk to is WAY overweight for a class V ball hitch, so again we had to retrofit the trailers to pintles.

My point is that even biggest shiniest truck/trailer may not be outfitted correctly, you need to look at the number plates!!!