Adding a crows nest?

PyrateJIm

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 1989 GW 232 and am wanting to add a 6' - 8' crows nest to her. She had a canvas T-top, but with sun and time, it's up for replacement this winter. This upgrade is all new to me, so I have all kinds of questions I'm hoping those that have done it can help with.
- replace with canvas or go hardtop (carbon fiber most likely)?
-crows nest attachable to what I currently have, with removable front pins to allow it to fold back onto the stern deck for trailering clearances?
-use new hardtop as flooring and just build support around it, or can I go canvas with seperate flooring for crows nest?
-how drastically will a crows nest throw-off my center of gravity?
-any other issues or concerns?

Pics are of the boat and what I currently have. I dont need to have controls for steering up in the crows nest, but am basically wanting a higher vantage point for "sight-seeing", ie... reefing, spotting, fishing, marine life views for the gf and grandbabies. Perhaps a seat instead of "standing only" with a sunbrella top for a little shade.

Thanks for all the input and direction.

Attachments

• 00o0o_4Q6UGrQu710_600x450.jpg
    00o0o_4Q6UGrQu710_600x450.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190315_213939.jpg
    20190315_213939.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20180814_175036.jpg
    20180814_175036.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20190908_173858_resized.jpg
    20190908_173858_resized.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190908_173840_resized.jpg
    20190908_173840_resized.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 19

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Your existing top is designed to stretch canvas over it. It has multiple cross bars and angles.
It won't be easy to mount a hard surface onto that.
Unless they are molded(like the Grady OEM tops) they are usually somewhat flat with a slight arch along the centerline to drain water off the sides.

You might get away with a partial hard surface over the center bars, over top of new canvas...with a leaning post that can fold down.
Not sure how useful that is but Ive seen it done.
Your existing top doesn't have anything useful as a ladder up to the top.

If you are serious about seating up there you are probably going to have to scrap what you have an have a half tower built from scratch

Gulfstreams were sold with Grady hardtops which are pretty beefy. They are also wide and heavy boats for their length.
I'm sure it can handle a hardtop weight.
That said, all boats are more tippy with more weight up high.

Last edited:
Reactions: PyrateJIm

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
To figure out the high center of gravity and tippiness issue... you might want to throw a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood up there (to help simulate weight of a solid top), along with some extra weight for good measure. Tie it down securely using holes in the plywood in key areas - maybe even use ratchet straps. Then take the boat out on the water and put a couple people up top and see how it feels with people moving around - especially out towards the port/stbd sides of it. I think it would be worth the minimal expense in plywood and time to see if this is a venture worth pursuing.

The building of it and a ladder can be figured out - see if it's worthwhile, first.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd be careful, you could change the characteristics of the boat. The hardtop and frames are usually not rated for people or heavy items like a raft. To be honest, I'd put a fabric roof on her and leave alone - just my 2 pennies.

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 1993 Gulfstream had a custom tower installed by the previous owner. I don't notice any stability issues when driving or anchored. Of course I've only owned it with the tower, and don't know what it felt like before.DogBoneEgmont.jpg

Reactions: SkunkBoat