Adding a GW factory ski pylon to a 180 Sportsman

sol283

Reaction score
I own a 2008 180 Sportsman and use it for fishing and water sports. To help the water sports fun I purchased the factory specified ski pylon for my 180. To install the ski pylon I need to get access to the deck, center and just forward of the engine well. Unfortunately, there is a fiber glass board running completely across the boat that blocks my access (using the access panels in the engine well and rear seats/battery compartment). It appears that my only option is to cut a new access panel in the deck or cut a notch large enough for my hand to reach through in the fiber board. My preference is to notch the fiber board and not cut into the deck. Has anyone ever done this before or have any other recommendations? It is not clear what the fiber board does. It may only be there to keep flotation foam from spilling into the battery compartment during installation.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have received no help from Grady White customer service on this request.

Thank you.

Greatty

Reaction score
Have you contacted the dealership where you purchased the boat? I have a 180 and am rather curious as to how that installation will go. There certainly is not a lot of room to work back there. Good luck and keep us posted. - Bob

sol283

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion. I did contact the service department, but it turns out that not many of these ski pylons have been installed post factory production so they were not much help. This is my fourth GW and I really like the boats (particularly the 180), but the factory support and instructional documentation are not the best. I will let you know how the installation goes. I am going to install a pair of trim tabs at the same time.