Adding AC to a Sailfish 282

Bama96

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a Sailfish but the wife wants to be sure we can rig up some AC for the hot summer months in Destin. How can this be done? Someone said use a small Honda portable Generator and one of those suitcase style room floor AC models. Any help would be appreciated. :D

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not sure when AC was a factory option but 1994 and newer models make it easier to install one. On a cheapest route, I've seen someone put an AC on the steps of the helm and closed the curtains around it. But for power the Honda generator is the way to go. You can probably rig up something by the cabin door. I think Yamaha is starting to get in the same market but haven't seen or heard anything about their unit.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't know the exact layout of the 282, however installed a Mermaid 6500 BTU unit under the stairwell on the port side of my 2000 272 Sailfish. It is aft of the refrig and can be accessed/installed with the refrig out. I am sure Cruise Air, etc. make a suitable unit/size to fit in this area. The Mermaid unit has worked well and cools the boat adequately. In 95ish F temp in the sun, the unit cools down to about 15 F below ambient. Unit has been used only at dock on shore power. As can be seen on another thread, I am now setting up to use a Honda 2000i when underway or at anchor. Check out BobP's threads on his thoughts for an A/C, probably not exactly right physical layout approach for your boat, however, some good thoughts and comments. Hope it works out....