Adding Bow Thruster 330 Express

isurus22

Reaction score
I am interested in adding a bow thruster to my 2004 330 Express. I was wondering where the access to the thruster area actually is? Is it under the Teak and Holly floor or under the V berth? I am worried about ripping up the cabin for the installation. I am looking into Florida Bowthruster, New England Bow Thruster, and East Coast Bow Thruster. The boat is in NH. Thanks.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2007 330 and I too would like to add one. My educated guess is that access would be under the V berth area. My boat has a large access hatch under that area that goes pretty far forward, almost to the anchor locker. Following your post!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
2009 factory installed had access to the motor via hatch in the bottom of the alcove at the dinette area. V-berth had a removable floor board above for access to that. wholly endorse a thruster. good luck, ron.

moklodge

Reaction score
I can vouch for East Coast Bow Thrusters. Seen his work on over 20 boats and he is exceptional. He's also priced very fairly.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Definitely do it -- should be an easy install since the boat was designed for a thruster and they should be able to place it exactly in the intended spot. I lost my thruster due to it sucking in a dock line (stupid me), and not having it totally sucked! Fortunately it was just a prop replacement, but still had to get it hauled.

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I agree with all of the above - we have a 2006, the bow thruster is very helpful to spin into wind and our access plate is in the same place as Elyse. Under the little bunk area in the dinette. You can access it pretty easily.

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I added one to my 2001 330. we unsrewed the panel in the v-birth and removed the divider and panel below that. The thruster is located in that area. I put a group 31 battery in the storage area in the very front of the V-birth, where the panel just lift out. All my electrical components are in there. I also put a separate single bank charger in there and plugged it in behind the fridge. I used a Lewmar Thruster. I also used a Blue Sea magnetic battery switch, which is controlled by a small switch on the console. If the thruster should ever take off on its own you can kill the power from the helm. New England Bow Thruster is a friend and he helped us out. Another friend is a glass guy, he drilled the hole and glassed in the tube. I also put one in my Marlin. Best thing to add to your boat. Over kill on the size of the motor is not a bad thing. If you need pics I can get them.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi isarus, we met this summer on Cuttyhunk - my 2003 is set up the same as First Time Grady, the oil reservoir is in the storage compartment under the V berth in bow, and the rest of it is accessed under the leg cushion on the table berth. Hope rest of your summer went well. Kirk

isurus22

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. If I end up doing this I will try to post some pictures of the install.
-Keith