adding radar dome to a 2007 sailfish

wdlfbio

Reaction score
The boat will be here late next week and the Garmin 18HD will already be here. That will be going on first, then the autopilot. I'm wondering if the front of the hardtop is properly slanted for a direct install, or if I need to use a mount or wedge up there for the proper downward angle?

There is a GPS antenna (mushroom) to starboard and the top light dead center, but aft a couple of feet. Then the Taco outrigger mounts to aft as well.

I want to keep her total height as low as possible.

Thanks,

Fishtales

Reaction score
Most (including the 282 I had) install directly to the hardtop if using a dome. Place it center and right to the front edge of the hardtop. You can add a mount if desired but really no need.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
wdlfbio said:
I'm wondering if the front of the hardtop is properly slanted for a direct install, or if I need to use a mount or wedge up there for the proper downward angle?

The only way to know is to experiment with the radar returns at different running angles at various speeds. I'd recommend beginning without a wedge and see how it goes. Your radar returns should be satisfactory at 5 knots. Using the same targets, at the same distances and angles of approach, compare the returns at increasing speeds as your bow angle rises. If there's a noticeable problem, you know what to do.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Sounds pretty straight forward. I did quite a bit of car audio growing up and always tried to avoid running the power wires along the RCAs. Is there an issue with bleeding/interference in the RADAR sugnal if I run any power lines along the signal line (including feedback from the VHF)?

Pez Vela

Reaction score
I guess there can be. The installation manual (like all others) says to avoid parallel runs with power and antenna lines. You'd need to talk to a professional installer or fellow Garmin user to see if it's a real world issue. You do the best you can on any install, but sometimes you have to bend the rules a little bit. I used an all new "stand alone" route for my scanner cable ... it's just the way it worked out ... all other routes were full to capacity.