Adding trim tabs

TIDE

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Im refering to the auto trim pro from Bennett. Per one of their reps on another form, he described it as once the boat is on plane that is when the auto functioning takes control. After you get out of the hole and adjust it to your preference then it will auto adjust based off that. That is how I interpreted it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Tide, I'm only familiar with the version I mentioned above, which is an older version. It seems strange that the "Pro" version wouldn't remember settings when the original one does. Sounds like something to check into again - maybe there was a miscommunication?

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Im refering to the auto trim pro from Bennett. Per one of their reps on another form, he described it as once the boat is on plane that is when the auto functioning takes control. After you get out of the hole and adjust it to your preference then it will auto adjust based off that. That is how I interpreted it.
Can you explain a little clearer to me what you are trying to accomplish: I am confused.

seasick

Reaction score
I have already watched that video:)
My question had to with his original issue which was rolling at slow speeds. Tabs, auto or manual aren't going to help.

TIDE

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for that video Glacierbaze. That cleared up everything. My only other question is once I have it set to auto will the system adjust to different sea conditions and additional weight changes? This is all at plane, I understand the trim tabs do nothing at slower speeds.

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for that video Glacierbaze. That cleared up everything. My only other question is once I have it set to auto will the system adjust to different sea conditions and additional weight changes? This is all at plane, I understand the trim tabs do nothing at slower speeds.
In theory, yes but it doesn't find the optimal setting. It can follow two (I think) presets that you saved. When in auto it tries to maintain similar hull angles. So if the sea conditions are different from those when you saved the settings, it will use the original settings which may or may not be optimal for your current sea conditions.
More often than not, varying sea conditions will need throttle adjustments to handle the seas and the auto tab has no control over speed.
I think it may be better at compensating for listing than it is for different sea conditions.
The auto retract is nice to have but I think if it only works when the ignition is turned off. You still may need to remember to retract tabs when backing into a slip.
It can't hurt to have the feature probably will help in some conditions but you still will need to keep your fingers 'trained'

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Basically, the way the system works, is that you find the right running "attitude" that you like. So this not only applies to listing, but also pitch. Once you have the boat the way you like it, you say "remember this attitude". It doesn't remember the tab settings - it remembers the angle the boat is at and will then replicate that angle via the tabs.

seasick

Reaction score
Basically, the way the system works, is that you find the right running "attitude" that you like. So this not only applies to listing, but also pitch. Once you have the boat the way you like it, you say "remember this attitude". It doesn't remember the tab settings - it remembers the angle the boat is at and will then replicate that angle via the tabs.
Gosh, you made that clearer in a lot fewer words than I did.

seasick

Reaction score
On my small bait I have audio commanded trimming. It's kind of like Siri without Siri.
When the boat lists when fishing with my buddies, I say "Harry, move to the other side" Works well.
(Harry is not his real name). In the case of two fishing buddings, the system only works when one person has more mass than the other:)

Reactions: efx

TIDE

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
DennisG01 - explained it perfectly. I think the auto feature is nice but just not for me now that I understand it. I rather adjust it base off conditions each time rather than when it was programed and hope its acceptable for those conditions that day.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
DennisG01 - explained it perfectly. I think the auto feature is nice but just not for me now that I understand it. I rather adjust it base off conditions each time rather than when it was programed and hope its acceptable for those conditions that day.
You can always override it for as long as you want and then simply switch it back to auto again.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
On my small bait I have audio commanded trimming. It's kind of like Siri without Siri.
When the boat lists when fishing with my buddies, I say "Harry, move to the other side" Works well.
(Harry is not his real name). In the case of two fishing buddings, the system only works when one person has more mass than the other:)
It's amazing how far technology has come... :)

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just a heads up. When you are backing up or reversing , make sure your tabs are up. I backed down hard on my seafarer and ripped a tab off. It was time for an upgrade anyways!