Adventure 208 steering stuck

nipahut1995

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Adventure 208 that has the steering stuck from 3 years of inside storage. The steering rod is all the way out and the outboard motor turns fine when unhooked from the steering rod? Any suggestions on how to unstick it? Looks like I'm finding out this tip the hard way!

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Mechanical or hydraulic steering? If mechanical, first step is to disconnect the steering rod from the steering cable and see if you can then move the rod or then move the steering wheel. If the steering wheel is stuck, then it's the steering cable that will need to be replaced. Once those are frozen, it's very difficult to ever get them working smoothly again. If it's the steering rod, you may be able to work it free using penetrating oil.

nipahut1995

Reaction score
It's manual steering. The steering wheel moves very little and the steering rod is stuck in the out postion. I can roll the steering rod. Should I pull the grease fittings and try some penetrating oil there also? Also, should I go head and replace the whole cable since I'm putting time into it?

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Since you can move the steering rod a little bit, I'd disconnect it from the cable and start working it to see if you can get it to move freely again. Since it's spinning, I'm leaning towards the steering cable being frozen. Once you have the steering cable disconnected, at the motor end, try turning the wheel. If it's smooth, no need to replace. If it's jerky or stuck, then I'd just replace it. When putting it all back together, make sure you put the wheel at the center of travel (i.e. count the number of turns from stop to stop and then turn it back half of that) and have the motor centered up. Good luck!

nipahut1995

Reaction score
I had to cut the steering cable at the outboard. Cable was rusted up in cable houseing. Now, is there any way to get the steering rod out of the outboard without removing the engine? There is not enough space to pull the steering rod completly out since the cable hole is offset.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yes, like pbaygrady states, the motor will have to be lifted to get the steering rod out.

seasnake

Reaction score
I had a Overnighter with the same problem I cut a hole in the side of the motor well , so I could remove and install the new cable in without lifting the motor then just patch the hole with a cover or fiberglass . With cable steering you will have this problem every three or four years because they rust and splinter inside the cable housing .

seasnake

Reaction score
The new hole connected to the old hole since I only needed an extra inch or so to get the old one out and the new one in . More like an oblong hole . I used a router bit 1/4" shank in a die grinder to cut out the hole .The router bit will cut through fiberglass like butter .

bottomline

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 1987 20 Overnighter. Instead of pulling the motor I did the same thing seasnake did and patched it up.

In my case the tilt tube where the cable rod goes into needed to be cleaned out. It was full of impacted old grease, salt, other nasty bits that turned almost rock hard. I spent alot of time cleaning it.

pbaygrady

Reaction score
nipahut1995 said:
pbaygrady,
How difficult was it to convert to hydraulic steering?

In my opinion, there isn't a better time to do the little extra work, and upgrade the steering to hydraulic. Really the only extra work is changing out the helm. The hydraulic cylinder and hoses are a cinch to assemble. Instructions are in the box for the SeaStar system. The performance gain is huge.

nipahut1995

Reaction score
Pbaygrady,
Do you still have the part or kit numbers for the SeaStar sytem? Did you have to remove the outboard to put the new system in? I can cut my stering rod and get it out without removing the outboard. Do you know if it would work with an autopilot?
Thanks!

pbaygrady

Reaction score
HC5345 is Teleflex P/N http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/ ... ont-mount/
The kit doesn't include hoses due to various lengths needed. If you are going to install auto pilot, you'l need some adapters,but the helm an cylinder still works. This might help... http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/ ... autopilot/
I'm not sure if the new steering bar would have enough room to slide into the tube with out taking the motor off. I don't think so.Cut your old cable out and try it. Worst that happens, you have to slide her over..