Adventure 208 - tips and ideas

antaris

Reaction score
Dear all,

I've included the link in the photo section - but it may be of interest here, too. There are some drawings, measurements and parts codes for whomever might be interested (and more will be added as we near completion).

Since the refurbishment of our new (old) 208 is almost done, I've decided to share some images, hints and tips (and failures) with whomever might be interested.

Here is the link to the full story:

http://adventure208.tumblr.com/

As it's a blog, you'll need to read it from the beginning! Hope you find it interesting.

Regards to all!

PS> I will add some feedback option soon, as I'm new to blogging with Tumblr.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great little boat is the right description for sure, had the older 204C for 5 yrs, only grew on me the longer I had it. Think one day will be back on it.

Who advised you on the aluminum frame for the hardtop is incorrect, the handles you call them are part of the structure creating the very strength needed by design. And where it failed is typical. The frame can take a beating when hitting wakes and tough seas where the effect wants to twist the boat, or when putting added weight on top that doesn't belong there.

It's also common when one side goes, so does other. The reason is when one element fails the others in the struture have to take up the added stress. Has nothing to do with impact damage. But towing about trees and the like, can push the hardtop too far off to the side then it can crack, as aluminum is not so maleable and when it goes it goes fast all around.
If you ever see a crack start, get a drill with a 3/16 inch bit and at both ends of the crack drill a hole thru it. This will delay the extention for some time. If not fixed, all the next elements will continue to cracks until none are left in support.

Good news it is readily repairable by a welder, mobile one too to your boat, be sure to mention it's aluminum, a much more powerfull rig and inert gas is required to weld aluminum, and if there are any wires in the tube, they need to be removed first. Make sure all cracks are fixed at same time even little ones you see anywhere on frame. The holes you may have drilled will be consumed and filled in weld repair like not there to begin with. It wil not be so pretty as original factory welding, but restored in strength.

antaris

Reaction score
Cheers ghcpa9 and Bobp!

@Bobp: I was actually not advised by anyone - we just had a long discussion with a friend who's an engineer. In any case, I was looking at alu welding but found no mobile unit in my area. Will repair eventually - and try to be careful until then. Many many thanks for your input (I've revised the text on the blog, too)

LowCo2

Reaction score
Antaris -
Great job on the refit. I tried to find those 11watt H3 LED bulbs you used in the spreader lights but did not have any luck. Can you tell me where you got them? Thanks.

antaris

Reaction score
LowCo2 said:
Antaris -
Great job on the refit. I tried to find those 11watt H3 LED bulbs you used in the spreader lights but did not have any luck. Can you tell me where you got them? Thanks.

Cheers LowCo2,

unfortunately, I am based in Greece - therefore the local importer must be too far away from you (?). LED H3 lamps are not that popular, since they should not be used as replacements for car headlights.

Have a look here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...tion=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/DRL_H3-WHP.htm

I have not bought from them, since the shipping was too much... I have seen this shop mentioned in boating forums before, but cannot offer an opinion. Good luck with your search, it is worth it!

if the above link does not work, click here and search for h3:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/