Adventure 208 Vee-Berth Drain -- Where does it drain?

bdubz06

Reaction score
I am cleaning out my vee-berth cabin and decided to wash and hose it out. I ran the water for a few minutes washing away the soap and all the water drained out through the drain hole near the cabin door and the portable head; it is a small drain hole about 1/2" wide factory installed.

My problem is that the water did not drain out of the boat nor to the bilge. I ran some more water to see if I could find where the water was going. Does anyone know if that drain should be draining to the bilge or through a thru-hull outlet?

Please help. Thank you for your help.

2004 Adventure 208

catch22

Reaction score
There should be 2 drains/tubes in the bilge area. They exit the rear most bulk head. One is from the forward cabin and one from the fuel tank compartments.

Any water from the cabin should drain through that tube to the bilge. If not, more than likely, that drain tube is clogged. If that's the case, my guess is, the water will accumulate in the forward compartment, under the deck and eventually drain into the fuel tank compartments. That's not necesarily a bad thing, (if it's fresh water) since Grady recomends you rinse out the fuel tank compartment occasionally, but.. you do want that drain to be clear.

You might want to try snaking out the tube and flush it with a hose. I've seen some gradys with sloppy glass work around the drain tubes, that partially closed them up. Not to mention, there's always a lot of left over debris from the factory that ends up in those drains.

Check out page 65, it shows the drain tube layout - http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/manu ... 24_Owners_
If the download doesn't start, click on - "17' - 24' owners manual", (pdf).

I used 1995 because I couldn't seem to find the drain lay-out in any of the newer manuals.

midnight-rider

Reaction score
Drain

There is a plug that is in the middle of bilge . Look into the blige and up boat from the pump and below the bulk head which separtes the fuel tank from the bilge area. I bet it's in and your boat is full of water in that area.
Good Luck

catch22

Reaction score
The plug is in the tube that comes from the fuel tank compartment... not the forward cabin. That owners manual link I posted, (page 65) also states the plug is on stern drive boats only. I don't agree with that, because I've seen the plug on plenty of outboard models. Anyway, water may have made it into the fuel tank compartment, as mentioned above, so that's a good suggestion to check it, (if he has one).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Can you see down into the forward bilge?

Is there water standing there? How much (depth) ?

A buddy of mine had a factory clogged drain, had to add a deck plate to access area and clear tube end, Grady provided solution.