Adventure gunnel railing

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Purchased a 2004 Adventure just in time for my new granddaughter’s arrival so have two new girls in my life. I’m looking at any way to ad railing around fishing deck to create a little extra safety for the little one - and some of us older folk too (of course, life vests are worn). There doesn’t seem to be much area for this but thought someone here might have considered/tried this. Any input would be appreciated.

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Purchased a 2004 Adventure just in time for my new granddaughter’s arrival so have two new girls in my life. I’m looking at any way to ad railing around fishing deck to create a little extra safety for the little one - and some of us older folk too (of course, life vests are worn). There doesn’t seem to be much area for this but thought someone here might have considered/tried this. Any input would be appreciated.
Congrats on both. I think west marine sells kits that you can cut railing pieces to the desired size and structure. Seal the mounts well to the gunnels. And use ideally through bolts rather than screws.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just offering a different point of view from a life-long boater with lot's of experience with kids.... honestly, you'll be fine without anything extra. She's a newborn, to start with, so she's either in someone's arms or laying on a blanket on the deck. As she gets older (or maybe you already have an older one)... they're still under a constant, watchful eye - especially while underway. They'll still be sitting on someone's lap for the most part. They should NOT be sitting on the aft seats while the boat is underway by themselves. And they certainly should not be moving around while the boat is underway. There really isn't a scenario where a "fence" is actually needed. It's a good thought to have - and I can understand why you're thinking that - but in reality, it just isn't necessary. Proper adult supervision is all that's needed.

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The feedback is much appreciated.
I may be going “overboard” (sorry) with the whole thing but it’s great to kick it around and see what others with little ones on board. I’ve had my kids out in my old boat (North River) which had higher gunnel than the Adventure. A buddy installed a railing up about 4.5 ‘ across the transom of his Hewes that has worked out pretty well for fishing purposes so I’ve been thinking about this from a couple different angles.

seasick

Reaction score
The gunnels on the 208 are not very low and for youngsters, the railing may not be necessary. A railing might be helpful as something to hold on to though. That said, a railing that runs from aft to the forward railing would be a terrible tripping hazard when boarding or unhoarding. It might also be tempting for children to use it as a pull up bar to see over the gunnels and that can also be a problem

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I agree about the complications caused by fore & aft rail. Even with a gate there would also be problem accessing gunnel rod holders, climbing aboard while trailered and probably other issues. This idea is as impractical as I had thought.
The two guys that fish on the Hewes with the stern rail setup are both in their mid 70's so they find the rail handy, as you mention, for extra support sometimes. The lines of the Adventure are beautiful as they are so I've been very hesitant to add something like this. Responses here are confirming that.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Seasick and Dennis both bring up great points to consider.

On sailboats you see many with netting from the pulpits along the lifelines and stanchions but I think it’s really only effective for smaller pets rather than kids. The rail wouldn’t need to go fully around the boat, could just be a U around the ster. Can help as handholds, also can strap on lots of rod holders at different angles but sometimes does get in the way. For example - I added a manual tiller kicker motor.

It’s a good thought though. Safety first.

below shows how a prior owner set up a rail on mine aftermarket. Also added the trailer ladder so maybe it did pose a problem getting in while on the trailer

1630685813213.png

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That photo is great. It helps to see an installed railing. Whatever affect it has on boat’s lines doesn’t bother me now that I’ve seen it on yours. Ladder is something I hadn’t considered. I still bail up over the side but that won’t be the method at some point in my future. I know just the guy who can make that and bunks happen.
Thank you!

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That photo is great. It helps to see an installed railing. Whatever affect it has on boat’s lines doesn’t bother me now that I’ve seen it on yours. Ladder is something I hadn’t considered. I still bail up over the side but that won’t be the method at some point in my future. I know just the guy who can make that and bunks happen.
Thank you!
I had to reduce image quality down but it does help having a visual sometimes

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Agree that good habits for both the adults and children on board will far outweigh the effectiveness of rails. All a child would need to do on a 208 would be to stand on one of the built-in rear seats and they would be able to easily climb over the transom or gunnel. In this case I’d choose teaching the children and developing good habits over engineering out the problem.

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I had to reduce image quality down but it does help having a visual sometimes
Still new to the Forum so not sure I’m directing this question correctly so just giving it a go and see what happens. My intent is to be posing the question directly to Pointed Rose.
Pointed Rose, is it possible for you to send me a clearer copy of that photo showing more of the boat? Still considering the railing so being able to see some detail would be helpful.

RIVERTEC_FISH

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I totally agree, on my seafarer the gunnel is low. I too also had a north river and these Grady's are low. Fighting salmon in a mixed swell in cold waters is not something to play around with. I'm considering doing the same but most likley will have a fabracator build me something custom that adds 4" railing around the dance floor. All my friends have said something, then add in a wet deck to it too! Great Idea, hoping you have an update?