Adventure with 150 HP

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those who own Adventures with 150's on them, how are they? With 4 people on board will they come up to plane? I had an 87 Mako with an old 90hp on it and it was tough to plane with 4 on board. I had to redistribute the weight, it was a real pain in the ass. I don't want to make that mistake again. Top end isn't so important for me neither is economy. I'll mostly be using it in the Hudson River and sometimes LBI / Ocean City MD Bays. I see a few Adventures for sale out there and the 150's are a bit cheaper.
Thanks,
John.

Update: Just did a search, kinda found the answers I needed. Tried to delete post - didn't see that option.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I have a 2001 208 with OX66 150 hp. The time to plane drastically increases when you have 4 adults on board as opposed to only two. The hull will struggle but will get up. That said, you will notice a similar difference with two on board and a fullish tank of gas as opposed to something less that half a tank.

Reactions: Heyspike

steveditt

Reaction score
Depends on which 150 ,98 my Adventurer previously had carburetor 175 Yamaha saltwater series excellent engine for the 208 no hard top , 2018 had Nick Roberti's Kingston install Etec G1 150 HP HO rated at 165 HP which hydraulic steering now top speed is faster ,haul shot faster ,fuel saving is 40-50 percent ,the Etec weights the same as the 175 Yamaha which was a big concern with additional weight four stroke with a few guys . The Etec 150 has no problems with addition passengers .So if its an older boat with a smaller carburated Yamaha its most likely ok ,fuel injected better both fuel and speed ,price and condition with the understanding you might need a new engine in the future .

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Depends on which 150 ,98 my Adventurer previously had carburetor 175 Yamaha saltwater series excellent engine for the 208 no hard top , 2018 had Nick Roberti's Kingston install Etec G1 150 HP HO rated at 165 HP which hydraulic steering now top speed is faster ,haul shot faster ,fuel saving is 40-50 percent ,the Etec weights the same as the 175 Yamaha which was a big concern with additional weight four stroke with a few guys . The Etec 150 has no problems with addition passengers .So if its an older boat with a smaller carburated Yamaha its most likely ok ,fuel injected better both fuel and speed ,price and condition with the understanding you might need a new engine in the future .
Hey Steve,
I see you're in NY. I am trying to find a nice Adventure or Seafarer MY 2000-2004 for the Hudson River this year. I'll be boating out of Newburgh. If all goes well, I'll be cruising to Kingston for lunch this summer.

steveditt

Reaction score
Hey Steve,
I see you're in NY. I am trying to find a nice Adventure or Seafarer MY 2000-2004 for the Hudson River this year. I'll be boating out of Newburgh. If all goes well, I'll be cruising to Kingston for lunch this summer.
Hey Steve,

Start in the Hudson New Hamburg for stripe bass then I belong to the Pastime club in Norwalk if your ever interested let me know ,I'll also keep an eye out for your boat selection I'm just amazed at how high/cost of used boats are .

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Start in the Hudson New Hamburg for stripe bass then I belong to the Pastime club in Norwalk if your ever interested let me know ,I'll also keep an eye out for your boat selection I'm just amazed at how high/cost of used boats are .
Steve,
How does the Adventure handle the Sound? Do you go out of it at all? Of course you have to pick your days, but overall good? I'll probably use the boat 90% in the Hudson and then maybe on vacation in LBI or Ocean City MD. That's why I was thinking Seafarer (plus the sink). ut the Adventure would be probably fine for me.
John

steveditt

Reaction score
Steve,
How does the Adventure handle the Sound? Do you go out of it at all? Of course you have to pick your days, but overall good? I'll probably use the boat 90% in the Hudson and then maybe on vacation in LBI or Ocean City MD. That's why I was thinking Seafarer (plus the sink). ut the Adventure would be probably fine for me.
John
Hi John , fair weather fishermen but the GW boats are excellent I decided to add trim tabs this coming season its stored at Roberti's who will install would like the bow down a little in rougher seas and weight distribution for my friends moving around . Love the saltwater for fluking , sea bass , black fish and clamming Norwalk islands are very cool spot . Steve

cool change

Reaction score
Hi John , fair weather fishermen but the GW boats are excellent I decided to add trim tabs this coming season its stored at Roberti's who will install would like the bow down a little in rougher seas and weight distribution for my friends moving around . Love the saltwater for fluking , sea bass , black fish and clamming Norwalk islands are very cool spot . Steve
150 is under powered 200 is perfect for that rig !!!