Advice on GW purchase...

Johnyrude200

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Im looking at a 22 Seafarer mid 80’s outboard model. I have not owned any GW’s before, just Whalers and Wahoo’s.

I learned my lesson the hard way with my first Whaler being so water logged it had about 800 lbs of water soaked in from poor care.

What are some things to look for in these boats that are red flags beyond the obvious soft floor/transom inspection?

The boat Im going to look at seems in decent shape but Ive already gone to look at 3 other boats where only in-person inspection showed how big of turds they were and that the sellers were F.O.S. Over the phone wasting my time.

Im an outboard mechanic so Im not worries about evaluating the motor, got that side and the trailer covered already.

Appreciate any and all recommendations for review

seasick

Reaction score
Note that the hull is not SeaV2. The ride will be a lot different than a later model..
There is a real good chance that the fuel tank needs replacement if it is original. That's hard to tell if leaks are small sine they usually start on the underside of the tank. Pull off the inspection plates and smell. You shouldn't really smell gas but it is possible that the hoses are leaky/porous. In addition, take a look at the sender flange for evidence of leaks or corrosion.
Check the steering for play, how much you have to turn the wheel before the motor starts to move.
You can try the controls for throttle and shift but it is not advisable to shift, especially into reverse without the motor running or someone manually turning the prop while you shift.
All boats are subject to possible water intrusion and that can lead to stringer rot. Again, that is hard to see often a soft deck may mean that the sub assembly is shot.Check the cabin for mold and signs of water leakage.
Check the windscreen, they are expensive to replace or to find for that matter.
Locker lids and covers are prone to rotting but can be rebuilt or replaced.
Take a look at the fuse panel under the dash for corrosion.
Assume that all pumps need or will soon need replacement.
Take a look at cupper hoses and all through hulls for evidence of corrosion/rust.
If the boat is running and in the water, you can learn a lot more than when it is on the hard or even worse, has been for a longish time.

The best idea you mentioned was looking at severl boats. Sometimes it is obvious when one is a lot better or a lot worse than the others.

Good luck

Reactions: CeeBee

Johnyrude200

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the boat. Hull seems to check out, I couldnt find anything beyond typical cosmetics going on with it.

Boat appears all original, I even found a copy of the owners manual in the cabin area. Trailer is 3 years old but only has 2 bunks and a bow keel support, so Im thinking this is too little?

it’s going to need a lot of cosmetic work (i.e. fresh bottom paint, teak, wash and wax), but overall the hull seems solid with little to no crazing. I did not smell any fuel in the bilge area either thankfully.

What is a fair private sale pice for one of these boats? It has a 200hp late 90’s Evinrude in good condition and new 6hp Suzuki kicker. Basically new trailer.

Thoughts?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd always spring for a good survey on a boat, especially an older one. Too many things can be hiding that you need to know at sale.

Johnyrude200

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Its been almost 3 yrs since I bought the boat and ended up being a big score. Hull is in very good condition and after doing all the cosmetic stuff and rehabbing the typical wear/tear items it is a weekly driver. Weve put over 1500 water miles on it this season alone.

Im working on a 2nd one now, a 1983 tournament 19.

Has anyone else seem floor rot under the consoles where they were not glassed over? Rest of the hull is solid including the transom, but in this model this was a bad design. Water from the bow compartments would just come in and pool on the bare plywood floors underneath and they are literally totally gone.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had a removal deck panel get wet and the wood core was compromised. I got it all out and replaced it with Coosa board - glassed in and over. Came out great. Part of the experience with wooden core boats unfortunately.