Aftermarket deck hatch in 248 ??

LiquidAsset

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck installing an aftermarket deck hatch where the spare fuel tank goes (between the two seats) ?? We would like to convert that area into a storage hold...

Any ideas ??

Thanks!!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If your 248 is similar to our 270, then there isn't much space available under that removable hatch on the bridge deck.

The auxiliary fuel tank is a belly tank that is very low in that section, with a wooden platform over it. The water tank and holding tank take up almost that entire platform.

If you search on keyword "storage", and author "ocnslr", you should see a post "Another Storage Option". This link should take you directly to it:
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424&highlight=storage

Holler if you have more questions. I have some more photos of the entire area under that deck.

Brian

LiquidAsset

Reaction score
In my 248 the 10 gal water tank sits under the passenger seat. There is a bulkhead separating the spare gas tank compartment from the remaining area under the deck plate. There is an area forward of the bulk head 24" deep by 12" wide by 24" long. This would make a great place for storing stuff, esp all my fishing gear.

The only after market hatch options I've seen are raised above the deck. I am looking for a flush deck hatch with Stainless hardware.

Why is this so difficult to find ?

Thanks !!

dheywood

Reaction score
New hatch door over reserve fuel tank hole

I had my deck redone last winter on my 1981 24 Weekender.
While my fiberglasser was at it I had him build a hatch door into the floor. The biggest hassel was finding a mold to form the gutter under the door. I am no good at fiberglassing but I no how to weld. I made up a mold out of angle iron and my fiberglasser used it to make the gutter. If I can ever figure out how to post a picture on this forum I'll show you.