Airmar B-260 Transducer

258 Grady

Reaction score
I have a 258 Journey with twin Yami F-150's and am about to install an Airmar B-260 transducer. Do any of you guys have one of these monsters installed on your boat and exactly where did you put it.
Thanks Ed

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are numerous threads on this forum about the placement of thru hull, in hull and transom mount transducers.
I personally prefer thru hull but the position is important. Airmar have a lot of info on their site.
If it is the large shoe sized transducer then performance is markedly improved with the high speed fairing block.

258 Grady

Reaction score
I have had numerous conversations with the Furuno sonar rep and have seen the presentation on the differences in transducers run by the same computer and they are significant. The thru hull b260 out performs the others hands down. The down side is the size of the unit with high speed fairing. I guess its all about the fish..

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 265 with twin 200hpdi's and have mounted mine with fairing block approx 12 inches (rear of fairing block) from the transom and in the dead centre. I'm not sure mounting that fairing block off centre would be a good idea.
Basically keep it as far back and away from interference of props and any strakes or skin fittings.The beauty of the fairing block is that as well as positioning the face of the 'ducer in clean deeper water it also reduces motor interference, as well as disturbance to the props from the 'ducer.
Obviously positioning is also limited by access from within the hull.
My boat is trailered and this can also limit positions with bunks etc.

Luckily it all worked quite easily and we get clear readings at 30+knots.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I will try and include some photos. I believe transducer placement would have to be the most talked about modification on this site.
I first fitted mine without the fairing block but it was terrible at speed. With the fairing block it is a completely different animal.
This pic shows it waterproof but before finishing off. we have done at least 1000 miles including once up on the hard with no issues at all.
2008_03302007xmasdouglas0013-3.jpg

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Oops.... I'm no technophile. Hopefully you can see the hull fittings and get some idea of the positioning. As the 265 has a rounded keel I had to spend some time with a grinder shaping the base of the fairing block to get it to fit flush......with the hull.
2008_03302007xmasdouglas0014.jpg