alot of extra space in my 265 express

tilewave

Reaction score
i made a recent post soliciting ideas regarding the removal of my fridge. ( which was rusty & i never used anyway). my original plan was to put a custom cabinet in but after removal of fridge the space down there is huge. it measures approx. 33"d x 20"h x 20" w. what i did was;
- for a floor i fitted a pc of 3/4" birch plywood, stained mahogany & many coats of polyurethane.
i put in 2 stringers to support wood along with " great stuff" foam for added stability underneath

- for the walls i glued exterior grade carpeting ( similiar to the type under the sinks)

- i plan on trimming the opening with actual mahogany not sure if i want to put a door on yet.

came out great !!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No cold beer on board!!!! :shock:

Idea of removing the fridge is interesting and boy I could put a ton of stuff there, but not having the space keeps that stuff off the boat making it lighter. Would love to see some pictures throughout the retrofit, would love to see what you do with the space.

tilewave

Reaction score
cold beer in the cooler! i intend on leaving my valise raft in the compartment. ( no not while im offshore) among other things. but i do think that open area will come in handy for backpacks, overnite bags etc..that some guys seem to bring when they r going fishing for 6 hours. im not concerned about the weight issue. im not storing heavy items.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Oh I know the guys who bring lots of gear...I fish with them!!! First canyon trip we made we had that boat weighed down big time. 6 man canister life raft on bow, bags filling the floor from bottom to floor tucked against the fwd bulkhead, 2 big bags in the head, then the spreader bars on the lips of the v berth and lure bags covering 1 side. Harpoon and spare gaff in rod holders, it was scary sleeping, harpoon's and hooks near your head.

We have fixed that now, I make them take much less or won't let them on, gotta be like the airline's and put a size limit. We store the spreader bars in the t bag, all clothes bags are in the head, and lure bags for single's and daisy chains neatly along the v berth on the shelves. Only thing on the floor is the Honda gen if we overnight, and it is only there for rides in and out, not when used. I also stopped allowing guys to bring their own rigging gear and rods, I have it all don;t need more of it, I have enough rigging gear for the next 5 season's in my bag and it is neatly organized and stows neatly. I am relocating my tools from the helm beanch seat to under the v berth and will make a nice rack to hold them all, and will store a valise under the helm bench seat.

freddy063

Reaction score
when I added the hot water heater thats where I put it. Made the Admiral happy to get hot water.