alternator conversion on a 470 (3.7L)

quister

Reaction score
Due to a series of issues I finally pulled the Mercruiser180 (3.7L) out of my '88 Overnighter and had it rebuilt. I'm now in the process of bolting everything back on before reinsalling it. In several different forums I've read about this motor's infamous stator charging system, it's water-cooled voltage regulator and the costs of repairing them. I haven't had a problem yet but I'm at an ideal place to convert this motor to a modern alternator system. I'd like some feedback on this modification. And if it's highly reccommened by this GW panel I have several questions: 1) should the old stator assembly be removed from behind the harmonic ballancer (is there anything that can come apart in there and be a problem later)? 2) Some conversion ads say they use a common marine alternator found on many newer mercs. Anyone have any part numbers or aftermarket sources? 3) I have experience with metal fabrication (and all the tools) and none of the brackets in photos I've seen look very difficult. Have any of you guys made your own brackets or know of a reasonably priced source? Mine has power steering. 4) Anyone interested in sharing their alt conversion story with tips and lessons learned?

UpGrady

Reaction score
I have a 1986 Sailfish with twin 470's. Both engines have approximately 3000 hrs on them, more trolling than anything on Lake Ontario. So for a case study, the Starboard engine is still running the original voltage regulator to the best of my knowledge, but the Port engine blew out three of them, after the third I put the aftermarket alternator kit on it. Both engines have the power steering pump, I am assuming that with a single you have PS as well, so you would need the low mount kit. The brackets are in fact relatively easy to fab something up. My impression of the functionality is lukewarm so far in my 3 years of running the alternator. The concept works, but the mounting is delicate. All brackets need to be tied into the front cover mounting holes which is a very delicate cast cover that is sensitive to over torquing the bolts. Next the alternator needs to be very much in line with the belt, so the brackets cannot be off alignment very far. My first bracket was slightly off and caused the bracket bolt to break in the alternator as well as break the bracket, so be very careful if you do this yourself. I still do not have long term confidence that the top bracket will not break again, due to the vibrations of these engines as you know they are not smooth.

If you are not a member, do join www.breezeworks.net, this a website dedicated soley to the Merc 470 and has many gearheads on it, Kevin also sells the aftermarket alternator kit and brackets and wiring.

Mine was a Breezeworks unit (different bracket fabricator than what he is using now) installed by a licensed Merc mechanic. The Harmonic balancer DOES need to come out for this installation, so it would obviously be easier to do this with the engine out. Do not get caught up in the e-Bay gimics for some of the low price sellers.

All of this being said, I am waiting to do it on the Starboard engine until I have a little more confidence in the port engine adjustments, plus $$$'s. The thought of blowing out another regulator with black smoke coming out of my engine compartment is not something that I want to go thru again! So, I would do it if you have the time and money, but read thru some of the Breezeworks threads for discussions to make an even more informed decision!

moorehaven

Reaction score
I have a single 470 engine ,I coverted it last year . I removed the stator and took off the magnets on the harmonic balancer . Heard of stories of the magnets falling off later . If you have power steering you need the low mount alt. if not use the high mount . I do not have power steering and the high mount works in my engine box the low mount wiil not. My alt is a 3 wire which I believe is better than the 1 wire. Breezeworks has alot of info on this conversion and all things about the 470 mercuiser . Great guys there that will help you on the message board.