Anchor line chafing

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I purchased an anchor windless with my 283 and have a few questions about it.
This is the first boat I have had with a windless and although I like it, my wife loves it even more.

The connection between the line and the chain is made by looping the line back through the chain and braiding it for about two or three inches. This “joint” is a little stiffer and thicker than the line and it sometimes jams and doesn’t pass. It takes a couple of tries but eventually it passes. Is this normal?

Also, there seems to be a lot of chafing at this point. I thought of “whipping” the braided part with some nylon string but it might make it stiffer/thicker and cause more problems. Also it seems to be chafing where the loop is rubbing against the chain link. This could cause me to lose the anchor. Any advice?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
uncljohn said:
sounds like a homemade splice loop. Spliced loops should have a loop-guard (thimble) in them, either plastic or stainless. That prevents the rope from getting worn by the chain.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10362

He's talking about going thru the windlass, that thing does not fit in there.

LUND, that is common on old lines, when i say old, it could be 3 years old. So, what i do is soak it in fabric softener and seems to work for a while. What i usually do is have somebody up in the front or in your case in the cabin and when the splice comes have somebody pull the line so it can go thru.

uncljohn

Reaction score
ooohhh. Windlass. What's that? :roll: Wish I had that "problem"!!!

DB

Reaction score
What type of windlass Lewmar? on certain models you need to purchase Lewmar line and Rode to make it trouble free.

lgusto

Reaction score

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
lgusto said:
You might try Brait, which is really flexible, takes up less space (room for lots more rode), and is very strong with great energy absorption allowing for a smaller diameter in many cases. I have 600' of 3/8" Brait which I spliced directly to the anchor chain. Easy to do and I'm very happy with the result.

http://www.yalecordage.com/pleasure-marine-ropes/anchoring-mooring-specialty/nylon-brait.html

That's what i have but 1/2". I don't think 3/8" would work with our windlass, unless you change the capstain.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have braided line and although I consider myself an expert in making loops with three strand, twisted line, I have never tried it with braided line. Something tells me I will either find out how or invest a lot of money in anchors.

I'm going to try to whip the joint and use fabric softener but this will not stop the chafing where the line is rubbing against the chain. I guess keeping a close eye on it and repairing it when it gets worn is the only option.