Anchor setup

aa331

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi all,
First, a quick into. After many months of reading and research, I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a 1996 Voyager 248 (first boat). The kids are already asking when we can put her in the water, but of course, I already have a list of things that need to be taken care of before that can happen.

An important one is that the anchor is stuck on the bow pulpit. The windlass works just fine. I'm wondering:

Is this is a suitable anchor for the specific winlass/pulpit setup (wront type / size)
Are the two guides in the front of the pulpit banged up, and out of position.
Or is there something obvious I'm missing?

Pics attached.

Regards, Alex

anchor2.jpg

anchor1.jpg

alashley

Reaction score
Re: Voyager 248 - Anchor stuck on bow pulpit

Well, I could jump all over this but shall refrain from doing so. Your previous owner must have been trying to overcompensate for something. You have waaay tooo much anchor for a boat your size. I can anchor my 2000 282 Sailfish in 200' feet with less.
Most of the GW's in your size range have a standardized size pulpit. I bet the anchor shank goes 3/4 of the way back to the windlass.
Obviously the current anchor is beating up the edges of the pulpit and there are marks above the shearwater where through improper use it has hit the boat.
You can unstick the anchor by unbolting the "lips" on the roller guide, reversing the windlass and lowering the anchor to the ground. While you have it down, run quickly, without hesitation to your local marine supply store and buy a 14-16 pound Danforth, The one with the tapered shank goes through the guides best. Unless you are planning to anchor in deep water, you need about 10' of chain to carry the anchor down. The lesser weight(s) make it easier on a family boat when anchoring. No matter what people say about windlasses, someone still has to handle line in the locker at times.
I notice the tray that has the anchor roller and the guide plates appear to be bent. That came from lateral stress while trying to retrieve the anchor. This is a minor inconvenience and should not affect future usage so long as the anchor roller still turns. You should check under the pulpit for stress fractures. When you put everything back together, you line the lips/guide back up as best as possible.
Good luck on your future projects/usage. You will have projects to do as a boat owner.
alan
Wilmington, NC

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Alex,

First of all, many congratulations on your "new" Grady. May she always bring you home safely, with full fish boxes. :D

While I don't disagree with the comments above regarding the previous owner, or the anchor size, I'm not sure that I agree with the recommended solution.

The recommended Danforth is a nice anchor, but not necessarily the best one in all conditions - few anchors are best in all conditions. Perhaps the current Bruce anchor is a good solution for your area, in which case modification of the environment may be preferable to replacement of the anchor.

I personally believe in using ground tackle one - or even two - sizes larger than what is recommended for your boat. Likely based on 28 years in the Navy, and about 50 years of small boat experience. For example, we have a 22# Delta FastSet as our primary anchor, with a Danforth 12H as the "spare". Even the 12H is 'oversize' for our Islander 270. I also strongly recommend the use of chain approximately equal to the length of the boat - we have 30-ft of 1/4" chain to our 600-ft of 1'2" 8-plaint rode.

Here is our installation:
Bow-1.jpg

Bow-2.jpg

Bow-3.jpg

So, you might proceed by simply replacing the currently bent, overloaded roller assembly with one that is designed for that anchor. When installing it, you could make sure that it is far enough forward that the flukes of the Bruce no longer bite into the sides of the pulpit. I recommend you consider one of the BRM series of Windline anchor rollers shown here https://windline.com/index.php?act=viewmodels&cat=18, getting the longest one that you can so you can have it project forward and still have sufficient mounting area.

All of the above is based on personal experience with our Islander. We purchased it new and the anchor provided by the dealer was a "danforth-style", sized as per the minimal recommendations. I went to the larger Delta, but it wouldn't work in the original anchor roller. So the roller was replaced with one more suitable to the anchor and pulpit installation.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like additional information.

Brian
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor & Sail - 1600-tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited
U.S. Navy Senior Offshore Sailing Instructor
Commander, U.S. Navy (Retired)

cgmiller

Reaction score

I may be over-simplifying things based solely on the pics, but how about taking a 36" pipe wrench and hooking it on those stainless steel brackets/guides and bending them out a little so they are not fetched up on the anchor shank?? You dont have access to a big pipe wrench, remove them with a wrench and use a bench vise to straighten out the bend a little....

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Alex
First congrats on the Voyager, I know you and your family will enjoy her.
Next I to own a 1996 Voyager and am addressing the same problem. Today I picked up a large guide to replace the small guide that came on the pulpit. I will have to do a little customizing but it will work, I'm useing the existing roller assembly.
As for bending the tabs back like they came on the boat no anchor will come up and make the turn without bending them out like yours are. This guide is simply to small. Just my opinion.
The guide is tack wielded to the bracket if it is like mine and they look exactly the same.

aa331

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306

For now, I removed the anchor/chain/rope from the windlass, and will go manual with a small danforth (that came with the boat, may have been the original) until I figure things out.

I'll probably upgrade the pulpit hardware (doesn't seem strong enough, I agree, GW Voyager). Also, the chain is rubbing against the deck before it hits the metal hardware on the pulpit. Will post pictures shortly (when I get the boat back from the mechanic).

I will keep the same rope since it is in good condition, and the windlass is specific on rope size / type for it to function. Will have to match the anchor to upgraded pulpit hardware. Also, I'm not sure if I'll keep the old plow anchor or move to a danforth. I'll mostly anchor in Biscayne Bay, which is sand and some grass.

GW Voyager,
If you can tell me which anchor / pulpit hardware component upgrade combination worked for you I would appreciate it.

Regards, Alex

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Mr. Alex sorry for the late response. I feel your roller assembly is fine but the tabs which are bent out are are just not large enough for the shaft of the anchor to slide through properly that is why the prev. owner bent them out. What I found is a large guide which uses 1 small ss bolt and nut on each side. I bought it at a boat dealer in Panacea Fl.
I would think any dealer should know what you need. I will cut the existing tabs back enough to make it look good then drill 1 hole on each side and bolt my new large guide into place and if needed take it to a local welder to have it tacked into place. That step may not be necessary if you don't get movement.

aa331

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306

Hi all,
Thanks for your replies. Well, I removed the anchor off the pulpit, and so glad I did, since the trailer winch post hardware was hitting the pulpit roller when launching / retrieving the boat. I took the trailer back to the shop and they changed it's setup, moving the winch post forward about 2 feet, and installing a new V bracket on the keel.

Anyways, here are the pics of the bow pulpit without the anchor / chain. Not impressed with the setup, would have thought that less plastic, and more protection for the pulpit from the chain would be called for. Wondering if others (maybe newer model years) can provide ideas / pictures of different pulpit / windlass setups on the Voyager.

Regards, Alex

f8fa9ef9.jpg

ae6622ee.jpg

Grady678

Reaction score

Nice set up. I have the same anchor on my Marlin and love the fact that it is stuck! I'm not kidding. Because it is stuck I never have to worry about Windlass failure and don't have to secure the rode. When I know it will be used, I release 4" of slack beforehand.....just enough for it to fall overboard. Works for me. Good luck with your new Grady!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

Depending on what conditions you go out in, you are going to need a lot more than 200 feet to stop the boat in difficult weather and a loss of power crisis, when you have to stop the boat or loose it to Davey Jones' Locker.

Use plenty of chain, for the same reason.

The pulpit is cored and that's where it derives it's strength from.
So is the foredeck it is bolted to, likely to rip out the bolts before it goes.

aa331

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306

A final follow-up on this topic.

After a few hit and misses, I found the setup that works for me.

Removed the anchor roller, got it straight and clean. New anchor, swivel, chain, and old rope (wash, and lots of Downy). Rigged a steel wire to the front, and use thick tie wraps to the rear. Works great, doesn't get stuck (tie wraps give), launches, grabs, and retrieves like a champ.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Well, it looks nice and if it works for you then ....

However, while I use a forward attachment and nylon cable ties on my wreck anchors, so I can break them free if needed, I would never use that arrangement on the anchor that I may need to save my boat, or the lives of those onboard. Why would I want the "weak link" to be nylon cable ties when tryng to ride out a thunderstorm?

If you are concerned about recovering the anchor if fouled, then attach the swivel where it belongs on the shank and use the forward hole for an anchor buoy.

For what it's worth, I have over fifty years and lots of boats under my keel.

JMHO,
Brian
Commander, USN (Ret)
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor or Sail, 1600-Tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited

Gary M

Reaction score

ocnslr said:
However, while I use a forward attachment and nylon cable ties on my wreck anchors, so I can break them free if needed, I would never use that arrangement on the anchor that I may need to save my boat, or the lives of those onboard. Why would I want the "weak link" to be nylon cable ties when tryng to ride out a thunderstorm?

If you are anchored up on a wreck with an anchor with a trip-line and a T-storm/line comes rolling in, how do you "switch" to the heavy duty anchor with long chain and rode?

Also, for those of you who use a "trip-line" I've found that there's a fine line in the break away part (zip-tie, cord, etc) being too easily broken versus being too hard to break! It's a hassle to keep re-tying the trip-line and if it's very hard to break when you want it to, that presents problems as well. Usually, getting straight above the anchor and applying some pressure will break my cord, but I've also seen my pulpit start to "bend" down and that's pretty scary too! In that case, you're better off to let out some rode and re-tie the line to a bow cleat but that also presents a problem and that is that the anchor rode/line will really put a lot of pressure on the rub rail! In that case, you'll want to put something solid under the line right above the rub rail to get the line "over" the rub rail.

Even with trip-lines, in the last 6-7 years I've been forced to resort to the knife twice to solve the problem unfortunately.......... :bang

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Gary M said:
If you are anchored up on a wreck with an anchor with a trip-line and a T-storm/line comes rolling in, how do you "switch" to the heavy duty anchor with long chain and rode?

Well, between my XM WX and the weather alerts on VHF, I haven't ever been surprised by a T-storm or squall line while anchored on a wreck.

I don't use trip lines on my wreck anchor. Just nylon ties. Sometimes the anchor unbends a bit, and sometimes the nylon ties break - but I haven't lost any wreck anchors yet.

In any case, I wouldn't want to 'stay on the wreck', so I would break the wreck anchor free, recover it, and then anchor clear of the wreck in regular bottom, if that was the preferred COA. My main anchor is a 22# Delta with 30-ft of chain and 600-ft of 1/2" rode, so I am able to anchor in most of the wreck areas I fish in.

Brian

aa331

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306

I agree, I would not trust the tie straps. Actually I went through a bunch before I found the size / quantity that I'm using.

My plan is to use as is most of the time. But if / when I'm anchoring overnight, or in bad weather, I'd cut the tie straps, and move the cable from the front to the rear eye of the anchor.

Thanks again, Alex