Anchor/Windlass Help

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello all

I have a 24 offshore with a windlass.....windlass works great except that my Delta style anchor is too light to pull the 12 or 15 ft of chain I have on it out of the locker when I try to drop it.

I have to go up on the bow and free it every time and anybody that has ever gone up on the bow of an older Offshore in any kind of seas knows that is not exactly easy.

I am hesitant to change the set up as the anchor holds great once I get it deployed but having to go up on the bow is a pain....I lose the spot I wanted to sit on.....then I have to maneuver with the anchor and a few feet of chain in the water.....not ideal.

I would appreciate any advice. Or is it a dumb question and the answer is use a heavier anchor?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

Lsquared

Reaction score
knowing which model windlass you have could help troubleshoot better but it could be the solenoid on the down side is corroded or the cone inside that needs to be greased or the cone could be getting stuck.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's likely due to the style of anchor roller. A proper anchor roller for the correct style anchor should fall very easily by it's own weight. Before you buy a new anchor roller, or anchor, experiment... how much extra weight would it take to get it to self deploy? Note that you can't experiment by 'jostling' it free - either figure out a way to attach some weight, or gently push/pull the anchor straight down and estimate the weight. I suspect it might take quite a bit of weight which may mean that simply adding to weight to existing anchor or getting a bigger one may not work. But it's worth a shot.

seasick

Reaction score
I second the idea of the roller being the issue. If the anchor is binding on the roller or in the roller 'housing' that can be checked. leave the anchor so that it is just a tad past the roller tip (hanging freely in effect). Now try to lower using the windlass. If that works, it isn't too much chain weight. You may just have the wrong type /size anchor for your roller or the roller is frozen.Make sure it turns freely as you operate the windlass

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of roller you have on the bowsprit but a tilt one should work .
I have one of these on my boat .
product-8361-0-0.jpg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your anchor does not have to pull 12 or 15 feet of chain out of the locker. The windlass brings the chain out of the locker, and the anchor only has to pull the chain between the windlass and the anchor. Doesn’t matter if you have 20 feet of chain in the locker, or 200 feet. As suggested, your problem is in either the style, the condition, or the angle of your roller.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks All.....I will be looking at the roller this weekend. I had the tilt style roller on another boat I owned and it worked well......might have to look at changing it also.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've never had a tilt style, but have had the "double roller" on a few boats (with plows) and never an issue. This is also the style that comes standard on Sea Ray's with a plow/delta style anchor. This isn't the exact one (this one looks a little cheap), but it's this style...

000966.jpg

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've never had a tilt style, but have had the "double roller" on a few boats (with plows) and never an issue. This is also the style that comes standard on Sea Ray's with a plow/delta style anchor. This isn't the exact one (this one looks a little cheap), but it's this style...

000966.jpg
Thanks Dennis.....you are always very helpful....I appreciate it.

seasick

Reaction score
On 'My other" boat, the anchor tends to hang up in the pulpit opening with the roller. If it hangs up while raising, it doesn't sit in the bracket correctly. If it hangs up while deploying, it just sits there and the rode plays out onto the deck.
9 out of 10 times, by bumping the windlass forward and then backwards a few times will free up the anchor and it will deploy normally. Something is probably not rigged/sized correctly but I have more important things to fuss over:)

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well........as I think about it....when I toggle the switch "DOWN" I hear the motor run but the gypsy doesn't turn....the chain does not spill out on the deck.

As my previous windlass was the freefall type , this didn't really register with me as a problem.

I will be looking at the roller first though......I can only hope it is something as simple as a frozen roller.

seasick

Reaction score
If the gypsy is not turning, it may have too much drag on it. The gypsy is designed to slip if there is too much force to protect the motor. The rope or chain whichever is in the gypsy st the time could also be kinked. That with lock the gypsy. The line can get kinked when the gypsy rotates but the line is not free to drop either into the locker or the water.

seasick

Reaction score
Yes, see why the gypsy is not turning The line or chain may not be engaged correctly and tripping the clutch. Watch out for your fingers when testing:)

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I had the double roller on a previous boat too. It also worked well , as the forward roller is lower than the rear roller the anchor would be leaning forward .

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It was the roller....freed it up and now working like a champ. Sometimes I am not so swift. Thanks to all!

Stiles1978

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
New to Great Grady, for my 87 offshore I recently picked up a LewMar 700 with a pulpit off a 26 Mako. Anyone ever modify a pulpit to fit a Grady? Thanks in advance.