Another way to look at the weather!

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
We all know that NOAA's weather forecast is usually wrong. Well the mate on my tugboat is a surfing fend and he told me about two of the websites he uses to look at wave hight direction and what the swell is doing. I though I would share them with you guys.

http://www.wetsand.com
http://www.surfline.com

He says they are more accurate than NOAA so I though I would give it a shot. Maybe they will work better for you guys as well. They should be real good if you are trolling up and down the beach...looking for cow stripers! :D

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Thanks for the websites.

I was talking to a friend of mine (Phil of "We Do It All Marine" in Moyock) last week about getting a new GPS for my boat. I like the Garmins with the Sirius weather alert. But it is a very pricey service. He told me that the cell phone companies now offer radar weather right on your cell-phone. He whipped his cell-phone out and speed dialed the site and within seconds had the Doppler radar on his cell-phone. I might look into that service. I think he said he paid $5.00/month for the service.

Man I sure like your boat. If you would have had it for sell last fall I would have been all over it

HD

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Heavy Duty said:
I like the Garmins with the Sirius weather alert.
HD

I think the Garmin units all use MX WX, not Sirius. I have a Garmin GPSMap 376C as a back-up GPS and use the Master Mariner weather package.

Brian

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
You are right. I knew it was one or the other. All I know is that there has been a lot of comment made about the cost for the service. I need to see if Verizon carries that service.

How far out can you get cell-phone coverage?

I'm still shopping for a new GPS. I currently have a '91 era Lowrance GPS. All I can say is the early GPS units were NOT at all user friendly. The new ones are Soooo much nicer. I was over at Boaters World this past weekend. All I have to say is a guy can get into trouble real quick in that place. Lots of nice stuff and just about endless GPS choices. I just bought a new pickup with a GPS on it. So now I can store all of the good boat ramps into the memory, hit the autopilot and off we go :lol: . I need to see if it has 3-D features.

HD