Any 2008-10 330 Express owners?

Gary M

Reaction score
Okay, I'll soon be in the market for a 330 Express. Initially I thought that a 2005-07 model (F-250s) would be the focus, but when the Admiral told me that her company bonus would be a lot bigger, my mind kicked up with an additional 200 HP!

So, if you own or are very knowledgeable about the F-350 330s, chime in! What's "better" about the 2008+ over the 2005-07 models? How's the fuel economy? Any upgrades to the cabin? What's a "normal" cruising speed? Top speed? Any generator issues? Anything else?

Anything that you can share will be MUCH appreciated! (AND will be good "ammo" to sell the Admiral on the 2008+!)

Thanks in advance!

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A guy at the marina where I keep my boat has a 330 with the Yamaha 350 V8s. He is very happy with the boat and the engines but says that they are very thirsty and require a specially trained mechanic to do the maintenance. No DYI on these engines. The closest mechanic he could find was 65 miles down the ICW in Charleston. Other than that he is very pleased with his boat. He took my wife and me for a cruise and those engines are just awesome.

Gary M

Reaction score
Thanks for that info!

I have a Grady dealer just two miles from the house and an awesome Yamaha Certfied mobile marine repair company close by as well. I have spoken to a 2008/F-350 owner and from what he said, I'll actually burn less gas with that boat versus my 2001 Marlin with OX-66 two strokes........ plus, not having to burn $20+/gallon YamaLube anymore!

Hopefully, some more F-350 owners will chime in here.......

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, i don't have exactly what you looking for, but, i had a 2007 330 with F250's and went to a 2008 336 with F350's. Both boats at cruise burn almost the same 1 MPG, if you bump the throttles a little, the 350's will burn more than the F250's. I understand that there is a weigh difference between the two boats, but that's the closest i can get to your question. If you go with a used boat with 350's on it make sure that the recall (i think Yamaha called it udgrade) was done on the harmonic balancers.

gulfcart

Reaction score
Pretty sure I've posted these numbers before..
I have a 2008 - 33 Express.. Have around 1000 hours on it..

Burns about 1 to 1.1 MPG at around 30MPH..Pretty consistantly.. I've had some issues with the 350's but Yamaha has stood behind them..Trouble free the last 200 hrs or so.

I wouldn't want any different engines..The torque in these engines is remarkable. It moves the 16k very nicely. Top speed if you wanna burn some gas is just about the 50MPH mark..I think thats about 65 gallons an hour. (I don't remember) I can't afford to do that.

My Panda generator has almost 700 hours on it. Great generator, I have had a couple small problems but it purrrrs. Gotta use it or you'll have problems. Great guy at the customer service there to. Will help you over the phone and knows his stuff.

We love the boat. We anchor out often and have made many long trips. Great for her as well as when I take a bunch guys fishing.

Gary M

Reaction score
Daman858 said:
You can also get a later model 330 with the newer V6 300 HP four strokes.

I've seen one of those advertised and admit that I didn't know about the 300s!

Our friends who showed us their 2008,330 with 350s and it was a former Boat Show boat and was loaded! Very nice! Not a fishing boat though as no outriggers, weak in electronics, etc..... It sold 6 months ago for $249k but we've seen some now as low as $209K......

We also get right at about 1-1.1 mpg so just eliminating my expensive YamaLube will actually lower my operating costs!

Why are the '08s a bit heavier than the earlier models? Any differences to the cabin? My many GW brochures show more wood cabinets, etc which is nice.

Thanks for the head's up on the balancers.......

Any comparions between the Marlin and the 330 from previous owners?

How do you owners "like" the boat?

georgemjr

Reaction score
The 2008's had many upgrades, nothing dramatic, but quite a few niceties. The windshield was raised, less canvas, more glass. I don't have any sight problems with my '06 33, but it is even higher now. There is more wood in the cabin as you mentioned ( I don't know if I am a fan yet). Also a small built in fiberglass step to help get into the v-berth. I just step on the dinette cushion. The generator hatch is now hinged, allowing access without removing the screws, sealant and cover - this is a great improvement. The seating around the helm is about 6 inches higher, allowing passengers to see much better. They added switches at the fish box to operate all the stuff in the cockpit (fresh water, salt water washdown, live well). I think the best package, which hardly exists at the moment is a new one with the F300's. They are much lighter than the 350's, I believe lighter than the 250's and more fuel efficient. All that being said, I am extremely happy with my '06 with 250's and would have no interest in the heavier 350's. It is plenty fast enough and as stated earlier, I couldn't afford to run any quicker than it already allows me to. It also would need a perfect sea to run any faster than I already do. It is a great package. I do not feel the upgrades are worth the additional money.

Gary M

Reaction score
Hey thanks for that great report george! I greatly appreciate it and that info will be very helpful.

The big thing that appeals to me in an 08/09 would be the fact that it's not very old. Our three previous Gradys (1993 208, 1994 252 Sailfish, 2001 Marlin) were between 5 and 8 years old when we bought them. It would be great to really make a nice move up in age for possibly our last boat.

My wife will like/enjoy a few of the things that you mentioned also. She really hated the first 330 that we looked at many years ago because on our many Bahamas trips (between 3 and 6 hours each way) she'd have been sitting too low to see out front and also "behind" me a bit. I truly do like having a second set of eyes in the companion helm seat looking out in front of our Marlin when crossing the Gulf Stream. Yeah, she'll like the "niceities" too! Two summers ago, we spent 18 straight nights aboard our Marlin in the Abacos so a 330 cabin will seem "big"!

We've recently taken a few more, very close inspections of newer 330s and she's on board with getting one. I'll admit that I'm not a 100% fan myself and would much prefer a 33-34 foot version of my much loved layout of the Marlin, but G-W seems hell-bent on Express only cabin boats from now on, so I'll just have to compromise for now.

But, we'll buy a nice, clean boat and we'll enjoy it!! :dance

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I may have missed it or you may already know, the older 330s can't support the V8s, the sterns were redesigned for the added weight of the Yamaha V8s.

So the older ones can't be repowered to V8s, as I'm aware.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The f300s would seem to be the way to go, lighter and I assume you can do your own oil changes. Having to pay to change my oil would kill the 350s for me right there. As I understand it, the new f series in any horse power is much better sealed against water intrusion. I love my 330,but backing down on a billfish ain't it's strong suit.

Bob P I would think the biggest changes in the newer hull from your admiral's standpoint are:

1. Air-Conditoned head -How luxurious is that?.
2. The freezer box under the port seat for ice cream/popsicles, etc. for the kids and grandkids.
3. The raised windshield and seating so HER view is better.
4. Better entertainment system for kids/grandkids.

My favorite upgrade would be the hinged access to the generator. Much better.

Also, in my opinion, if you use your boat much, get a trailer, even if you don't plan on doing anything but pulling out at the boat ramp to change your oil and paint your bottom it is much better to do it on your schedule and not the boat yards schedule. Best money I spent.

My 2 cents.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I second the option of both helm cooler refridgeration as well as fish box cooler. I go through countless bags of ice keeping the helm cooler contents cold. The cabin refridge only holds so much. Also, I think that they have the option of helm AC. Here in the northeast, it is rarely hot enough (on the water) to need this. My boat does have an outlet register placed just inside of the cabin door and pointed into the helm area.

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
I upgraded from a 28 sailfish to an "09 330. Love the boat. It is better than the pre 2008 for all the reasons cited. 08-11 basically same boat. As far as oil change, i performed same myself. Used dipstick to pump out and changed filter located in front of the engine. I don't understand why the other post feels that this cannot be accomplished without a mechanic. call yamaha to insure upgrades were accomplished on your engines. If not, a certified yamaha mechanic will change for you, new flywheel and water gasket will be changed. BTW, I installed a extra 1100 GPH bilge pump in rear bilge, under generator for added safety. Good luck.

Gary M

Reaction score
Great info guys. The upgrades all seem to be good ones and many, no doubt come from Grady owners!

My wife is an intregral part of our boat purchases so it's important that she get "hooked". She really liked the 2011 that we inspected closely at the Palm Beach Boat Show in March. I will make sure to list all the positive that you guys have mentioned about the 2008+ models over the older ones.

As I write this, I'm waiting for a return call from the Manager of Vero Marine Center (and a personal friend) which is the G-W dealer where we've bought all three of our Gradys. I will pick his brain as well.......

But for now....... tomorrow I "get" to swap out my broken macerator pump ($475) and then replace my burned out port tach ($275). Ah, the price of owning a 10 year old boat! ;-}

HMBJack

Reaction score
Hey Congratulations on your situation. I envy you.

My own two cents are as follows: I own a 2006 330 with F250's. Top speed is 35 knots and we cruise all day at 22-25 knots getting about one nmpg. With gas over $4 a gallon and soon to be > $5 a gallon, you will pay dearly for that added speed over 35 knots. If that's what you want, go for it. Me? I'm very happy with 12 cylinders on my transon (Vs. 16). And next summer, we might see $6 gallon at the marine fuel dock...

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
Gary I have a custom 330 for sale I had owned a 28 sailfish as well. In total, I have owned Gradys for 10 years. I can send you info on my current Grady or answer any questions on these boats jp2455@Yahoo.com or201.248.7834