Any Merc mechanics?

bhemi

Reaction score
My engines are 1997 Mercury 250 EFI Offshore -OG47xxxx

I have a problem with my starboard engine. Started up both engines and they ran fine. Starboard engine quits dead and will not re-start. It's cranking fine. I checked it was getting fuel and all that seems fine. I pulled the plugs one at a time and the plug on the middle cylinder of the left bank is not sparking. The connnection on the coil was loose so I made made sure it was good and tight and still no spark. One thing I noticed was the plug was like new with no oil or carbon build up at all. Plugs are about 4 weeks old and all the others showed normal light carbon/oil look. Am I dealing with: a) bad coil on that cylinder b) bad stator?
Would having a loose coil (cdm) wire for a few hours of operation hurt anything? I have an after market manual but the trouble shooting part of it is rather pathetic. I always start by looking for fuel and spark but now I'm stumped and don't want to start replacing parts until I get the answer. I'm thinking get a mechanic with the diagnostic computer for Merc to plug it in and see if that comes up with something.