Anyone change to a 4 blade S.S. prop?

hangman1176

Reaction score
Does anone know if the 4 blade SS props are worth looking into? I have a 22-8 with a 225 yamaha original 15x17 prop. Nothing wrong with it but just curious about the 4 blades.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our 2002 Islander 270 new in March 2002 with a single 250HP OX66. The prop was the Yamaha Saltwater Series 15.25x17".

It worked pretty well - they are good overall props. But we were getting far too much slippage, so I worked with a local prop shop (Bay Propeller in Chesapeake, VA) to try different props.

We finally settled on a Powertech OFS4R-17. That is a SS, 4-blade, Offshore Series prop with a 17" pitch. Much better bite in sloppy seas, better hole shot, better mid-range efficiency, and the same top end (i.e. slightly lower RPM but reduced slip).

Find a local prop shop and see what they have that you can try, without obligation. With the understanding that you will pay for any damage. If you find one by working with them, then buy one from them - don't go out on the web to save a few bucks.. :D

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Powertech or Bay Propeller.

Brian

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
prop

a four bladed prop is not designed for the 228. Stick with the 3 bladed stainless (don't even waste your time on an aluminum). I went with the Michigan Ballistic and gained about 4 MPH. A four bladed is designed to reduce bow rise (your tabs will comp for that) and they compromise your top end.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I run a Renegade Offshore 14 1/2-17 on my 226. The hole shot is good, the mid-range is great and it doesn't blow out a easily in rough water.

I lost maybe a knot or two of the top end which I'll gladly give up for the performance gains on the other end.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I have the same rig as you (2006 228 with a F225 + same prop: 17 pitch SW series II). I also have a T8 on the transom which adds about 130 lbs. weight.

After two seasons with this set-up, while okay, I wanted to use my trim tabs less. The answer for me was a Permatrim. Boat operates vastly better with this thing. Quicker to plane and much faster and easier to reach 6K RPM's (which I very rarely do).

The permatrim is basically a fixed trin tab attached to your lower unit. On my boat, it has not hurt the top end speed and have helped my economy a little (maybe 5-10%). But the boat rides better probably due to better use of the bow entry (bow riding a bit lower). I too considered a 4 blade prop but am glad I didn't go with that. Good luck. - Jack

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I worked directly with Powertec on a 4-Bladed prop for my Gulf Stream running a single OX66 225. It was horrible. I dropped 10Kts of top end, and completely lost control of the bow rise i.e. trim had ZERO effect. I ran the boat in the bay for two weeks working with a tech on the phone before they gave up.
I will say that if you want to try it, give them a call. They were a super company to deal with. They took the prop back with 100% refund and NO restocking fee. I would do business with them again in a minute.