Anyone have a Kicker for there GW 208?

jellyfish

Reaction score
Do you think a Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke added to the back fo a kicker will be too much weight? for a 208 without the hard top. From looking at the specs its around 125lbs.? Does anyone have one added to the back tha can tell me if its listing on one side? thx, jf

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are quite a few of them around with kickers, especially in the NW where they troll for salmon a lot.
I don't think you'll find the weight to be any big deal unless you've got a big four-stroke on there, which in that case you probably don't need a kicker.
I use a 32gal kodiak livewell that mounts on the cockpit floor right in front of the motor. At 8lbs a gallon, that's about 250 pounds right there at the back of the boat - no big deal. Although if two guys are standing in the corner netting a fish or something we will start to get water thru the scupper. With a F200/225 it would be worse.
Some of the guys like a kicker for a get-me-home motor as well.
I would mount it on the starboard side since prop torgue leans the boat the other way at cruise. Since the step is usually to port, it's a logical place anyway. Trim tabs take care of any other trim issues.

jellyfish

Reaction score
chris, it got a new F200 on theback of her. no trim tabs on the boat.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A F200 will troll as nicely as can be. The kicker is for what then?
And those motors are as heavy as sin, a least another 100lbs over the 150 I've got. You would end up with a lot of weight hanging off the transom back there.

jellyfish

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
A F200 will troll as nicely as can be. The kicker is for what then?
And those motors are as heavy as sin, a least another 100lbs over the 150 I've got. You would end up with a lot of weight hanging off the transom back there.
So you think its going to be too much?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I couldn't say for sure. Would be worth a call to Grady customer service, they'll give you a recommendation.

I would hate to see you drill holes in your transom and mount a bracket, hang the thing on there, and then realize you hate it.

I'm just not clear what your intentions were, unless you plan for many, many hours of trolling and don't want to run your main engine like that. It is hard on them, but at least they don't load up and foul plugs like the old style motors did.

jellyfish

Reaction score
I would want it for a kicker for off shore. I have heard great things about the F200 Engine. thanks for the heads up.

Charles M.

Reaction score
I have been using a 9.9 kicker on my GW204 for years without listing or any other problems. It has brought us home safely to the dock many times at approx 10knots. There is a picture of it on ebay for sale. We will be using our 26 GWIslander from now on. Good Luck Charles M.

cedarholm

Reaction score
Check out the Yamaha T8 High-Thrust.

Have mine mounted on the starboard side of transom on an Escape 209
(1993).

J-cubed

Reaction score
I have a 9.9 two stroke kicker on my 208. Because of the swim platform being on the port side, the kicker is on the starboard side with the two batteries. This makes her list a little at rest. I did install trim tabs, which I feel are almost a must regardless of the listing. I troll very slow all day for walleyes and a kicker gets me down to the correct speed and saves fuel.

jellyfish

Reaction score
on my 208 I have two batteries both one is on each side of the boat. Why don't you move one of the batteries to the other side?