Anyone have two radar domes on a Sailfish?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a Furuno Radar mounted in the top electornic box and I had a Lorance GPS and a marine radio in the electronic box at the helm. Last year I replaced the GPS / Sonar in the helm with a Lowrance GPS / Sonar - this unit has the capability of ading radar and you can overlay the radar on the GPS map. Sounds like a great option
2 questions - Does anyone have feedback on the option of using the radar overlay - good or bad and 2 did anyone mount a second radar dome - any tips as to where you put it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Never used a Lowrance radar, did have a Raymarine on my last boat and loved the overlay feature, but I still used the split screen, but just got the "verification" that the target on the screen matches the object on chartplotter....or its a vessel!!

As for using two radars......Id be careful with that, I work on the water and we have to get certified every 5 years.....one of the things we're always talking out is called "interegation" happens in the shipping world all the time when two radars operating on the same wavelength and pulse are close by.....the pretty much fill each others screens with clutter.

Not saying for sure it would happen, but since theyre both gonna be 3cm radars (wavelength) better check on pulse or see if its changeable or else youre gonna have some very clutter filled screens.

(if ya wanna get rid of the Fununo, let me know, Im looking to add a temporary used machine till I can afford a new multifunction unit)

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure why you would want to radar units on a boat the size of a Sailfish, but I believe any time two radar units are installed on a vessel, and operated at the same time, the domes or open-arrays must have a vertical seperation of at least one meter. That is to prevent the transmitted pulse from one unit from swamping the receiver "front end" of the other.

Enough Already

Reaction score
Are you done having kids? Not sure I would want to have all those bouncing/conflicting radar signals bouncing around me. What is the purpose of having 2 radar units?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have had the furuno radar - I added a Multi Function Lowrance GPS / Sonar -- one of the options on the Lowrance is to add radar and then the unit has the capability of adding the radar as an overlay on the chart plotter. I would probably never run both at the same time.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just installed the Lowrance Broadband 3G radome and it is absolutely awsome! Go for it if it will work with your model multifunction display. With my HDS unit, you have to get the Simrad RC42 Rate Compass and correct connectors to allow overlay.
I have not got that far yet, but now have the parts to connect the Rate Compass next time out and see how the overlay works, but the pictures in the brochures sure make it look great laying over the GPS map. Seems a real benefit when navigating at night or in harsh conditions.