Anyone mount rodholders here? 282

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Trying to figure out a better way of storing rods. We troll 4 (sometimes 6) dedicated rods for tuna and have 4 for iron, live bait, swim baits, etc. I know the rods in the rocket launcher are a pain to get to because of height. I want pretty much each rod to have its own holder, and none stored in the gunwales. Those would just get in the way whenever not trolling. So, I can have 4 in the gunwales while we troll, then leave the 4 OEM slots on the vertical supports for the hardtop. I need 4 for the live bait rods. So, I was thinking about buying 2-4 of the tulip shaped holders with the standoff built in. I would have those 2-4 welded on the smaller diaeter frame support just inside where the OEM holders are welded. See the picture. Anyone think of a problem with this? I just order a the 6-slot launcher from a GW300, which will be mounted on the hardtop too. So, maybe only have 2 more tulips mounted next to the factory 4 and then use the outside tulips from the top rocket launcher???
282secondaryrodholderspots.jpg

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I purchased two additional rod holders from Grady (about $50 each) and added a middle gunnel rod holder in my 265 - works great and allows me to troll 10 rods easily - an 11th if I want a way back bird in the rocket launcher.
Tim

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We have a custom hardtop and can store ten rods underneath in Lee rod holder sets.

In addition to the four factory gunwhale rod holders, I have installed one additional on each side. The stbd one is a Lee heavy-duty, extra length, swiveling holder for the planer rod. The port one is also heavy-duty, but normal length and non-swiveling. These are both 15-degree holders.

I installed one Lee vertical (90-degree) rod holder in the center of the transom.

We have two rod holders on each aft support leg.

I installed three clamp on Lee rod holders on each side of the hardtop frame.
IMG_3533.jpg

Here we are after a run in from 75nm offshore to weigh in some citation blueline tilefish:
FullGear.jpg

Brian