Are G.W.'s pre wired for windlass?

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am about to install an anchor windlass and have been told that G/W's are pre wired at the factory for this install. I have poked around the anchor locker but have been unable to locate any cable ends. Can anyone comment on this?
yb

seasick

Reaction score
Call Grady techical support and ask.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If they did on your model and year, the wires should be stuck under the cap, next to the hatch, or if you have a gap between the liner in the cabin and the outer skin, they might be there, stick you fingers from the anchor locker to see/feel. First thing i would do is look for a thick loose red wire in the battery compartment.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Our 2002 Islander 270 was 'pre-wired', but I found out from the factory that the wiring was form the helm area to the bow. When I inquired where the power would come from, I was told that they simply take it from the general power available at the helm.

It made little sense to me to install a windlass that has a 25-amp breaker, fed from a supply with a 40-amp breaker. That's the kind of installation that causes your electronics to shut down when you raise the anchor.

So, I installed new, separate, feeder cables from the battery area aft to the console, to provide the power for the windlass. I used a surface-mount 40-amp breaker aft (as required within two feet of the source), and still installed the 25-amp breaker locally at the helm.

I made this choice with the smaller Horizon 500 windlass, which uses a 25-amp breaker. It would seem really strange if using a larger windlass, with the usual 40-amp breaker, to feed it from the general helm supply. JMHO.

Brian

seabob4

Reaction score
A "Windlass Pre-Wire" typically means the cabling running from the helm to the bow. You supply the cables from the batts to the helm...

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I called Grady and got the same answer. "The prewire if installed would run from the helm to the bow and power should be taken off of a helm area buss bar". I too think this is not the way I want the windlass wired. I will run dedicated cabling from the battery for the windlass.

Thanks to all responders.
yb

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Good question and good answers! Thanks! :goodjob
I've had problems with my GPS restarting while raising my anchor... I'll be pulling some new dedicated wires from the batteries up to the breaker at the helm soon!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What mode/ / year Grady?

My model pre wire is stern to bow direct.