Auto Pilot ??

dduflo

Reaction score
I plan on installing a TR-1Gladiator on my Islander 270 with twin Yamaha 225s. If you have one on your boat, especially if you installed it yourself, I'd love to hear your comments, problems, etc etc. Thanks and have a very very Merry Christmas

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
No experience with the TR-1.

Installed a Simrad AP-12H shortly after we purchased the boat.

Upgraded to Simrad AP-16VF last year.

Make sure you know where you are going to mount the components and carefully plan the hydraulic line runs.

I installed the pump in the locker area under tha aft end of the starboard V-berth. Same location as the trim tab pump. Ran the hydraulic lines through behind the head built-in - there's a rigging tube in there.

PITA to interface the hydraulics behind the helm, but has to be done.

Mounted the compass at the inside of the bridge deck, at the aft end. Basically on the forward side of the upper face above the step coming up from the cockpit. Best spot to get it away from pumps, while still low in the boat and on centerline.

Mounted the control unit in the head, on the forward bulkhead, above the toilet.

Good luck.

Brian

The Black Pearl II

Reaction score
have the TR 1 on my 360. would do it over with the Simarad. took a year to get it right, and they had to replace the entire system. do not have the shadow drive feature after they replaced the system this last time. Just my 2 cents worth.

gulfcart

Reaction score
I'm on my second TR-1. I installed the first one myself in my old 32 Exp. ProLine. I liked it so much I had it installed in my 33 Express. Works great.. Not a bad install.