Automatic Bilge Pump continously running

LeapFrog

Reaction score
After closing the boat up last night, I heard a motor still running... it was my aft bilge pump... there was the normal inch or so of water in the bilge, but that's it... the only way to stop the pump was to pull the fuse... the manual switch from the helm still works... I tried filling the bilge with water and shooting water towards the pump to try and clear it... but no luck...

It was dark last night and with the generator installed, access to the pump is extremely limited... I could just reach the pump to feel around it and didn't notice any obstructions... I am use to bilge pumps having an external float (like a toilet ball on a rod) which I didn't find while feeling around... is it internal to the design of the pump? any tests or tips to repair without removing the pump and replacing it?

Any thoughts/suggestions/help would be appreciated... Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
LeapFrog said:
After closing the boat up last night, I heard a motor still running... it was my aft bilge pump... there was the normal inch or so of water in the bilge, but that's it... the only way to stop the pump was to pull the fuse... the manual switch from the helm still works... I tried filling the bilge with water and shooting water towards the pump to try and clear it... but no luck...

It was dark last night and with the generator installed, access to the pump is extremely limited... I could just reach the pump to feel around it and didn't notice any obstructions... I am use to bilge pumps having an external float (like a toilet ball on a rod) which I didn't find while feeling around... is it internal to the design of the pump? any tests or tips to repair without removing the pump and replacing it?

Any thoughts/suggestions/help would be appreciated... Thanks!

The pump may be one of the electronic automatic types. That type of pumps cycles every several minutes. I don't like them since they can run the battery down.

The pump could be a manual with a built-in float too.
If it has an external float, it may look like a small rectangular box with two wires. It won't look like a toilet float at all. The most common failure is a stuck float due to gunk or debris, although the floats do go bad at times. If possible try to use water from a garden hose to flush the float unit. That might dislodge any debris.
You will have to take a better look and see if you can identify the pump make and model. Using a flashlight and a mechanics mirror ( mirror on a handle) might help.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
It is not one of the electronic automatic ones. It doesn't have an external float attached to the pump itself, so I'm guessing unless they made a completely separate float system connected via wire, I think I have the manual internal float one. I'll get down there this afternoon with a mirror and flashlight to get a better look at it. I'll try the garden hose next. I can get to one mounting screw fairly easily and if I'm real lucky, I can get the pump free enough and maybe hose/jar the debris out...

Strange with the fuse installed, the pump is fairly quiet and just a low motor hummm... when I flipped the switch at the bilge, the sound increases and gurgles as it tries to suck the bilge water... the cover on the pump is loose and the blades/impellers are definitely spinning in manual or stuck auto mode... Definitely leaning towards the problem being a stuck float as you suggested...

Greatly appreciate the guidance SeaSick!!!

seasick

Reaction score
LeapFrog said:
It is not one of the electronic automatic ones. It doesn't have an external float attached to the pump itself, so I'm guessing unless they made a completely separate float system connected via wire, I think I have the manual internal float one. I'll get down there this afternoon with a mirror and flashlight to get a better look at it. I'll try the garden hose next. I can get to one mounting screw fairly easily and if I'm real lucky, I can get the pump free enough and maybe hose/jar the debris out...

Strange with the fuse installed, the pump is fairly quiet and just a low motor hummm... when I flipped the switch at the bilge, the sound increases and gurgles as it tries to suck the bilge water... the cover on the pump is loose and the blades/impellers are definitely spinning in manual or stuck auto mode... Definitely leaning towards the problem being a stuck float as you suggested...

Greatly appreciate the guidance SeaSick!!!

Sounds like a bad float switch, possible corroded and drawing some current but not enough to really run the pump at speed.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Every Grady that I've seen had an external float switch. That must be the factory installation on most models.

You can't alway see the float on models like the Rule. It is enclosed in the case. However, there is a small metal lever that is hard to see close to where the wires enter. You can use that to work a stuck float free. They all eventually stick.

I've had some luck keeping mine from hanging up by shooting some Corrosion-X into the float chamber. It is both a solvent and a lubricant that sticks to metal even under water.

If you have an aftermarket electromagnetic water sensor, other than checking the connection there is little that you can do short of replacing the unit.