Bad fuel sender units

hoppyray

Reaction score
I just changed out my fuel tank sender units with new ones from Royce Industries. (THEY WORK GREAT !!) You can add for a few bill a sensor that will tell you when you are near the top when filling up. It will beep at you. Check out their website. They are the same ones that Grady marks up and you can buy direct. They were about $44 each buying direct. (http://www.royceind.com/)
When I pulled the ORIGINAL sender unit from the main tank, the screws were EXTREMELY tight even after the repeated soaking of liquid wrench. Once I got the unit out , I realized the bottom of the plastic tube on the sender unit was missing . The auxiliary tank bottom was in place so I am a little concerned that it might block the tank pickup. Anyone else have this problem or a fix for this? I am seeing myself draining my tank on a hill and using a flashlight and one of those long tools used to pick up screws. They kind of look like a claw on the end and you use you thumb and forefinger to open and close them. What do you think???

Thanks,

Ray

richie rich

Reaction score
Ray
the odds of it blocking the pick up while sloshing around is low, but I would try and get it out....just use the boat until its time to refill and do the job. Just be really carefull with that open tank and ground everything in sight uncluding yourself when sticking that pick up tool into a gas tank with fumes!

hoppyray

Reaction score
richie rich said:
Ray
the odds of it blocking the pick up while sloshing around is low, but I would try and get it out....just use the boat until its time to refill and do the job. Just be really carefull with that open tank and ground everything in sight uncluding yourself when sticking that pick up tool into a gas tank with fumes!

You know... I have been thinking about sticking that pick up tool into the tank
and I may just leave it until I need to pull the tank or have a better idea. One little spark is all it takes...:shock: :shock: :shock: Even if I run the tank empty, I may not be able to see the piece of the old sensor in the bottom unless I siphon the remaining fuel out. This would be a process I would welcome any suggestions!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wear cottom cloths and discharge tool to the tank away from opening before use.