Bahamas Insurance Coverage

alfa1023

Reaction score
Contemplating a trip to Abacos (Green Turtle Cay) this June. Currently am insured with Progressive and have the 125 nm navigation coverage (covers that distance from mainland US). Progressive has no option for coverage beyond the 125 nm. Buddies on the other two boats going have similar issue (different insurance carriers).

Does anybody know of an insurance company that offers a single trip type policy that would cover us while we are cruising the Bahamas?

Thanks for everyone's help / ideas

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have Nationwide. Before heading to Bahamas, I call them and they tell me I have 'temporary' coverage for the trip. Never had to test it and it isn't in writing.

Rob

alfa1023

Reaction score
FYI - just got off the phone w/Boat US Insurance - they offer full coverage for all of the Bahamas and Turks. Premium is actually slightly lower than my Progressive policy and that's with Boat US actually having slightly better coverage on certain items.

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think most any insurance co will give you an exception for a week or so outside normal area without extra charge, I would ask that first before I go change

alfa1023

Reaction score
sel1005,

That was the first thing I did with Progressive - they came back with the strict 125nm limit. No exceptions. I am not bashing Progressive - they have all my other insurance and do a great job and plan to stay with them on everything else. But I have now received two more quotes other than Boat US, both of which offer extended navigation coverage and actually better liability coverage, and both of which are cheaper than Progressive.

Now with that said, I also had all these other companies quote on my 16' Scout - they were all way higher than Progressive. So I guess the moral of the story is to shop around for insurance if you have a bigger/more expensive boat.

Coconut330

Reaction score
I have State Farm and they cover me in the Abaco's with no additional rate We routinely go over 100+ miles offshore just to fish the otherside for Tuna from home. (Ponce Inlet). They also are quite a bit less expensive than they other companies. I have a 33 Grady and 16FT ActionCraft