Bait well for 1985 Explorer

paulbrewer03

Reaction score
I have been using a custom built baitwell with aeration system but would like to utilize one of the built-in baitwells currently on my 1985 20.4FT Explorer. There is a nice size tank in the center of the floor in the cock pit area with a drain, but appears to have no access to add a feed pump line. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

richie rich

Reaction score
if its a stock baitwell, it should be adjcent to your fuel tank? if so, you may need to plumb a hose from the pump to this tank through the fuel tank area....probably run parallel to the fuel line going aft. Make sure the drain is an outboard drain and not into the bilge area......if the baitwell is below deck and dumps into the bilge, you'll need another bilge pump to dump the recirc water...

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pretty sure I'm familiar with the well your talking about, drains to bilge thru a pvc pipe that runs thru gas tank coffin to the bilge, not the way to drain a livewell. What kind of bait are you looking to keep?

richie rich

Reaction score
you are gonna have to make your own feed and drain lines to a tank thats not factory ready for it........it will take some plumbing using SS vavles and some hoses but it can be done....just select your points of feed and drain carefully and you should be fine.......just seal every point/joint correctly and you'll be fine

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Would not advise the use of that well for bait. Providing adequate drain is the problem. As noted previously noted what do you need the baitwell for?

richie rich

Reaction score
wait...is this a baitwell or not? If it is, it should have enough height to add a feed .......if the box is sitting on the very bottom of the hull, with no drain at all, its just storage locker of some type....is it up off the floor and above the waterline?

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie, pretty sure the well he's talking about is intended for storage. The box itself is pretty deep with the bottom probably being below the waterline. You can't see the bottom from outside the box because it has bulkheads fore and aft of it but I do know that there is a drain that runs under it so I doubt that it sits right on the bottom of the hull.

IMO only, would not consider this for a well. It does however provide a great location for an aux. battery.

Think this space may have originally been used to accomadate a larger fuel tank or an aux. tank.