Barbecue Mount

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to mount a barbecue using a pole holder receptacle on the gunnel? I have looked at the Magma BBQ and mount in West Marine's catalog but can't tell if this is a good way to go.
yb

sickday

Reaction score
Looks like the only way to go unless you want to permanetly affix it to the hull. I'm going to use a system exactly like you are refering to. The swivel head should allow you to put it in any of the pole holders

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've used my magma bbq with a swivel gunnel mount piece for years. No problems works great. I just put the bbq on the port side of the boat, away from the gas fill ports.

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On E Bay Under "marine BBQ" there is a listing for a rod socket mount for Newport and Catalina models of the Magma BBQ for a "buy it now" price of 49.99 I want the smaller kettle type cooker so I am still looking
yb

Average Joe

Reaction score
I use my Magma kettle grill with the rod-holder mount. Just for a little extra safety I put it on the side (port) opposite my fuel cap.

Barlow46

Reaction score
Yellow Boy said:
On E Bay Under "marine BBQ" there is a listing for a rod socket mount for Newport and Catalina models of the Magma BBQ for a "buy it now" price of 49.99 I want the smaller kettle type cooker so I am still looking
yb

You looking for gas or charcoal Magma? I have one of each somewhere in my garage with a rod holder mount. I was planning on listing both here in the next month or so along with my other offshore fishing equipment. PM me with what you are looking for and I will see what I have and let you know what I want for it. I will look for some pics to send you also.

gulfcart

Reaction score
Here's the easiest and cheapest I know.. Standard rod mount bait table.. Coleman grill $40 -$60 at Wally world. Fits perfect and stores under the gunnel when not in use. Chuck it each season for a new one. I use it every weekend. Works great, even in the wind when anchored out.
Not the prettiest, but efficient and cheap.

[/
gril2l.jpg
]

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gulfcart said:
Here's the easiest and cheapest I know.. Standard rod mount bait table.. Coleman grill $40 -$60 at Wally world. Fits perfect and stores under the gunnel when not in use. Chuck it each season for a new one. I use it every weekend. Works great, even in the wind when anchored out.
Not the prettiest, but efficient and cheap.

[/
gril2l.jpg
]

Is the stove attached to the bait tray? If not it looks like you're just one big wave away from a disaster.

gulfcart

Reaction score
It's not attached. Stuck some non slip furniture tabs on the bottom..The other good thing about it is you can move to any rod holder to get it out of the wind.
Used it for over three years, never had a "disaster" and we anchor at least 3 out of 4 weekends all year weather permittng..Have over 10,000 NM on my 33 in less than 3 years.

Of course, we use our head, I don't pull the cooker out in 4 footers!

bhemi

Reaction score
rod mounts are finicky

I had a rod mount for my magma and hated it. Wouldn't really level and felt flimsy. I ended up drilling two holes for post mounts with bayonet clips. Rock solid. The grill comes out easily and is so solid I often just leave it in. I mounted it on the port side as far forward as feasible. The only hard part is that the gunnel on a Grady takes about 10 minutes to drill thru. The plugs that came out were impressive.

Scott W.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
BBQ Mount

Thanks GulfCart for your great idea!

I read your post last week and for Father's Day, my wife and kids purchased me that Coleman Camp Grill for $64.00 from Walmart along with the Coleman carrying case $19.98 (free home delivery). We already had the Magma T10-313 Bait/Filet Mate Table (12.5"x31"), so it fit perfectly with 6" to spare. We also took your advice and glued furniture rubber stoppers to the leg pads, which prevented the grill from sliding on the bait/filet table. We used the grill for the first time yesterday and the large 180 sq. in. cooking grill cooked the following at the same time in less than 15 minutes on a low flame: 4 large hambergers, 4 franks, 1 kinish & 1 sausage coil. This grill gets very hot very fast, so you could burn your food quickly on a higher setting. Clean up was a breaze (placed alum. foil under burner to catch grese) and the grill cooled off pretty fast so you can clean it and store it away in no time flat. We can't wait to use the grill again - goodbye sandwiches/wraps...hello BBQ lunches and dinners!!

Thanks again!! :D :lol: