Batteries

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Ok guys my batteries sometimes do some crazy things...so here is a very dumb question for you? Explain my battery setup to me...I have 4 batts and always run the starboard motor on 1 on the switch and run the port on 2 on the switch. When running the switch selector on 1 is it using 2 of the 4 batts or just 1 of the 4 and the other two are house batteries with the opposite engine running on the last battery?? My setup confuses me...im not really good with batteries if you can't already tell? Somebody explain the setup to me?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I believe the 305 is setup the same way as the 300. Assuming that is true it works like this.

o 2 banks (1 and 2)
o 2 parallel batteries per bank
o 2 engines (stbd and port)
o electronics buss runs off the stbd engine

You basically assign a battery bank to an engine. I typically switch so that one day I run bank 1 to stbd and the next day run bank 2 to stbd.
Make sense?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bama96 said:
So should the charger be a 2 bank or a 4 bank? We should be charging with the switches in the "off" position correct?

2 batterys in parallel=1 bank, so a 2 bank charger is what is needed. Battery switches may be on or off during charging, but normally off, if shorepower is left connected and boat unattended.

Bama96

Reaction score
Capt Bill said:
Bama96 said:
So should the charger be a 2 bank or a 4 bank? We should be charging with the switches in the "off" position correct?

2 batterys in parallel=1 bank, so a 2 bank charger is what is needed. Battery switches may be on or off during charging, but normally off, if shorepower is left connected and boat unattended.

2 Bank 10amp per?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A 10A charger will eventually work, but I would prefer something at least 30A, or even 50A, for faster recovery of high-capacity battery banks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
MegaB, no house bank on the Marlin?

If no house bank, does the electronics reset upon motor crank?
How about when you hit SW washdown hose with motor off?

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
MegaB, no house bank on the Marlin?

If no house bank, does the electronics reset upon motor crank?
How about when you hit SW washdown hose with motor off?

No house and the only time my 582 will blink is when I stress the windlass.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No dedicated house bank Bob which many here have suggested should change (Joe and myself included). I typically don't have much besides my customer stereo running when I start the engines to avoid any nasty issues.

GW confirmed thay have heard the feedback and are watching the trends. My point is there are som many electronic devices these days including those for entertainment, that a house bank is a must.

We shall see.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks.

It seems to me since yamahas have the aux charge feed, it's easy enough to use a house bank, no special charge swiches/relays required.

Then they can split the 4 individual batteries as follows:

Batt 1 - start motor 1, alternate start for motor 2.
Batt 2 - start motor 2, alternate start for motor 1.
Batt 3 & 4 in parallel as House Bank and connected to both motor aux charge feeds.
I would add a selector sw to the house load just incase the house bank quits, to pick off one other existing motor batt.

can use a 3 output battery charger, more common than 4 output ones.

This way the electronics are isolated from voltage dips on motor starts.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nix the comment on 4 output battery charger, not applicable to the Marlin factory setup.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Head of GW engineering told me that the Yamaha spec for the F series required them to use two batteries in parallel per engine which negated the house battery, at least at present. Penn Deka apparently partnered with Yamaha to provide a group 27 which which met the specs (bank of 2).

Unless a new single battery can replace the bank, then a house battery would need to be separate. In fact a deep cycle is much better suited to electronics than the dual purpose Penn Dekas used on the engines.

Some folks have added a dedicated deep cycle house battery to the 30'+ models after market. I will do that for my next boat if GW doesn't go that route. The issue is where to place it for mainenance. The 2004 300 setup is by FAR the most accessible battery setup on a GW I have seen.

At least one boat (can't recall, maybe SP or Jupiter) had a very accessible setup where the batteries were in a strapped plastic box and reachable from a aft hatch near the transom. Open the hatch and they and you are looking directly at the tops. Nice.

Been meaning to ask Southern Hunter how he checks his. If you have a 305 with the genset they are REALLY hard to get to. :wink:

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Mega,

Bro I can assure you it is a bi!@h to check the water levels in my batteries!! There is VERYYY little space to get both my head, a flashlight (to see water level), and a flathead screwdriver(to pop the caps). I check the levels about once every 5 trips or so, and it makes me cringe everytime I have to do it. I usually end up soaking wet with sweat and a back and neckache from doing it!! However If i didn't have a boat with batteries to check I would be even more miserable...you gotta love it to do it!!!!

I still haven't figured out what I' m gonna do when I have to change them...then again I may just go with NEM's route....get a new one before they have the chance to go bad!!!!