Batteries

Zebulon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Please don't hit me..... :D :D

While searching the possible purchase of new Optima batteries it seems that none of the Bluetop Marine dual purpose batteries meet the minimum requirement for reserve capacity as set forth by Yamaha for my 225 OX66 motors. Are the Yammy specs ( 182 min.) too optimistic? Or are the Optima batteries not the right choice? The boat is a 2000 272 Sailfish w/t 225 's, 3 batteries with OEM charger. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

izzy

Reaction score
battery

Try Sears auto.........they have some new batteries which have really high amps for starting in the deep cycles.

I used to have optima's but i changed them out for my Optimax motor............take a look on line.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Optima batteries are under rated when it comes to durability, but way over rated when it comes to guts and price. Look at Cabela's AGM or Sears Platinum (also AGM) ... :wink:

uncljohn

Reaction score
I use a marine starting battery and a deep cycle, so haven't fooled w/ the dual-purpose battery type. I know that often my DC would have trouble starting my OX66. If you have a 3 batery bank, put a marine starting battery in for one or 2 of them.