Battery and charger advice

bhemi

Reaction score
I'm thinking of up grading my batteries and charging system. I find it frustrating to really have no idea as to how much charge my batteries have and what condition they are in. I run a four battery system in my 1992 Marin. Two engine and two house batteries. At idle my alternators put out about 10 volts and at speed a constant 12 volts. Other than that I have no information.

I keep my boat in the water year round hooked up to shore power and always have a 110 volt heater on.

I have gotten conflicting advice about leaving the battery charger on or off. I would like a system I could leave on without wrecking my batteries because my bilge pumps are 12 volt and I like the thought of them having full power.

I would also like a system where I could see how much power was in each battery ie. fully chargered, half drawn down etc.

What is the best set-up for a charger and what batteries should I use for engine batteries and what should I use for house batteries?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Check promariner website, they have a battery monitor, freestanding so you can stay with existing charger, just connect it up to batts, up to three as I recall, can panel mount the monitor up front at bridge.

Others make similar products, I think Blue Seas too.

seasick

Reaction score
bhemi said:
I'm thinking of up grading my batteries and charging system. I find it frustrating to really have no idea as to how much charge my batteries have and what condition they are in. I run a four battery system in my 1992 Marin. Two engine and two house batteries. At idle my alternators put out about 10 volts and at speed a constant 12 volts. Other than that I have no information.

I keep my boat in the water year round hooked up to shore power and always have a 110 volt heater on.

I have gotten conflicting advice about leaving the battery charger on or off. I would like a system I could leave on without wrecking my batteries because my bilge pumps are 12 volt and I like the thought of them having full power.

I would also like a system where I could see how much power was in each battery ie. fully chargered, half drawn down etc.

What is the best set-up for a charger and what batteries should I use for engine batteries and what should I use for house batteries?

If it is true that your idle output is 10 volts and you running voltage is 12, something is very wrong. Idle voltage should be 12.5 or higher and full charge voltage should be 14.5 volts or less depending on the charge state of the batteries.
Your voltage numbers are so far off, either your voltmeter is bad or your motors wouldn't start. There may ne a cable issue somewhere also

bhemi

Reaction score
I think gauges are off

I will get the voltages tested but I'm assuming the analog gauges are just off a bit. I'm only guessing but I see the 2.5 volt output jump when I throttle up and have assumed the alternators are fine.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you want to leave on the charger all the time, may be a problem for the batteries if you have any load on like a DC fridge or fan - charger thinks battery needs the absorption rate longer, so the voltage is raised higner and for longer periods. Check with potential charger manufacturer how it handles house loads relative to a fully charged battery possibly being overchanged in absorption mode.

Since the bilge pump is on very infrequently, presiming no leaks lihe theh old woden monsters that used to be on the water, the bilge pump is not an issue for overcharging.

I was also thinking some chargers may have a remote panel option to provide info on charge condition.