Battery Question 2008 330 Express

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Today, in a hurry, I turned on the port batteries (#2). I went to the panel and it was dark. I then switched on the starboard batteries and when I went to the panel, I had the standard display of accessories etc. Breakers looked ok. Could the port batteries not be connected to the main accessory panel and maybe just be used for an engine start? I have never only switched on only one bank of batteries. Thoughts? Thx

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The port battery switch does not (cannot) provide power to the house bus. Either battery bank (#1 or #2) can provide power to the house through the starboard switch. Don't confuse battery banks with battery switches. The windlass is powered by the port switch thru a separate breaker. Check your owners manual for detail. Your comment about "port batteries" is what is confusing you. Battery banks are #1 and #2 and either "Bank" can provide power to either or both switches. Port switch connects either bank to port engine, bilge pumps, and windlass on my 2007.

Last edited:

isurus22

Reaction score
Just to clarify on my 2004 the starboard switch is both the "House Load" and the starboard engine. I use battery bank "1" which is also the two batteries on the starboard side. The port switch on my boat (no bowthruster) controls the Port engine. I keep that on 2. In that setting all your house loads are coming off the starboard bank. I think its good to keep it that way, so that the port bank is isolated from the house loads in case I run them too low.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My number one bank are starting batteries and my number 2 bank are deep cycle dual purpose batteries. On overnights I leave the house on number two even if not running the generator they will last all night since they are group 31 deep cycle batteries. My number one bank are starting batteries and are always charged and ready to start either engine is selected.

Reactions: Halfhitch

HMBJack

Reaction score
Bill,

On a 330, I didn't know you can "fit" Group 31's in that battery space. I have the standard Group 27's and they are a tight fit. Curious how you did it.

Also - on the 330's, Grady wired the port engine to two batteries in parallel. And the STBD engine + House circuit to another two batteries in parallel. Do you know the logic to this? It seems like the set up should be one battery for each engine and an independent two batteries for the House circuit.
The House circuit could be charged by one or both engines with a one way charging lead (I think ACR makes one of these). Or simply charge it with the genset (better).

Curious what your take is on this. Thanks. Jack

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had to change out the battery trays and I fit four group 31s in the same compartment. Admittedly they are tight but they do fit. As for the battery set up, the way Grady-White sets it up seems to me to be a lot simpler and adequately redundant. I have the alternate charging cables that are available on higher horsepower Yamaha‘s that crossover in case you are running single engine you will still be able to charge two banks. I like to think of the battery switches as attached to the engines and not the batteries. I agree that the house battery is best as two parallel batteries. However with Grady-White set up you can have either of your battery banks supplying the house or as back up for the port engine. I believe the way Grady-White sets it up is the simplest and just as redundant as a more complex set up with two separate starting batteries and a double bank for the house, Nice to have either parallel bank to power the house, run the windlass, bow thruster, start the grenset, or start either engine. The stock set up has no requirement for an ACR. My GEN set runs a pro mariner four bank charger with leads to each battery that was recommended by the engineers. I have considered Other combinations such as you suggest, but see additional complexity and no benefit with regard to redundancy. My set up allows me to charge batteries even in the event of a single engine and always allows for a dual bank to supply the house. I guess having three independent sources of power versus only two is of some benefit but the complexity is a disadvantage I believe.

Last edited:

HMBJack

Reaction score
Understood and thank you Bill for the detailed response.

The more I think about it, the current set up is best.
One can simply turn the battery switches to change the source of power (or charging) as needed.

And getting size 31's in there would be better than the 27's. On the newer 330's, I think they moved the batteries to that flat area way behind the generator. That's even more difficult to access than the current location we have!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Moving the batteries behind the generator would make them very difficult to get in and out. Where we have them is not very hard actually the group 31s of course are a little heavier so you have to eat your Wheaties. Moving them to the center line in the later models though would negate the slight port list with the bait well empty. Maybe that is why they moved them.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Understood and thank you Bill for the detailed response.

The more I think about it, the current set up is best.
One can simply turn the battery switches to change the source of power (or charging) as needed.

And getting size 31's in there would be better than the 27's. On the newer 330's, I think they moved the batteries to that flat area way behind the generator. That's even more difficult to access than the current location we have!
I have an '04 and i swapped over to Group 31 AGM's. Plenty of battery power now but yeah, I got the List to port. I also removed my trashed generator and have yet to replace it so I have that going against me. Considering Replacing gen with LiPo battery bank. If that happens I'm going to weigh/measure and see if I can relocate some weight around to get rid of the List.

I believe that List isn't just the batteries. Fridge, Mircowave, stovetop, cabinets all on that side. Head/holding tank, water heater on the starboard but not sure if that's a wash with weight?

HMBJack

Reaction score
You installed heavier batteries + removed the generator. That'll do it...

I'd try to stow gear to STBD if possible. Or maybe move a pair of your 31's to the area where the generator was. That should not be too hard to do and you will have easier access to both pairs of batteries when done.

I am so not a fan of these inverter set ups - especially with Lithium anything.
I think they are boat fires waiting to happen.
There might be a reason why GW doesn't offer them as an option.

seasick

Reaction score
It's not as simple as replacing old batteries with lithium. Lithium battery banks should have a smart battery management system. The alternator on the engines will not be suitable to charge the batteries and will require a DC to DC converter. The newer lithium iron batteries are not as prone to melt downs and fires but nevertheless my cause your insurance carrier to cancel your policy. Add to that the cost factor for the batteries. Yes there are foreign made batteries that are not super expensive but quality is suspect. Brand name batteries are pricey.. Installs like trolling motors are are more realistic applications for Lithium but heavy draw and wattage house banks are a different story.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had to change out the battery trays and I fit four group 31s in the same compartment. Admittedly they are tight but they do fit. As for the battery set up, the way Grady-White sets it up seems to me to be a lot simpler and adequately redundant. I have the alternate charging cables that are available on higher horsepower Yamaha‘s that crossover in case you are running single engine you will still be able to charge two banks. I like to think of the battery switches as attached to the engines and not the batteries. I agree that the house battery is best as two parallel batteries. However with Grady-White set up you can have either of your battery banks supplying the house or as back up for the port engine. I believe the way Grady-White sets it up is the simplest and just as redundant as a more complex set up with two separate starting batteries and a double bank for the house, Nice to have either parallel bank to power the house, run the windlass, bow thruster, start the grenset, or start either engine. The stock set up has no requirement for an ACR. My GEN set runs a pro mariner four bank charger with leads to each battery that was recommended by the engineers. I have considered Other combinations such as you suggest, but see additional complexity and no benefit with regard to redundancy. My set up allows me to charge batteries even in the event of a single engine and always allows for a dual bank to supply the house. I guess having three independent sources of power versus only two is of some benefit but the complexity is a disadvantage I believe.
I did the same and added 2 group 31’s on outside but had to change battery trays. Did you notice any slight list to port in aft? That side of boat sits a little lower in the water.