Battery Replacement/Set-up Options

258 Grady

Reaction score
I currently have two Deka Marine Master group 27 (27M6) batteries that need replacing. I plan to add two high draw Cannon down riggers and a new NavNet 3 Furuno package including a 4KW radar unit to my boat. I have twin four stroke Yamaha F-150's that require a min. 512a CCA with a 675a MCA and a 182min RC for starting. I think it would be best if I added a house battery to run the new equipment on and use the start batteries for starting. I have dual Guest Battery switches with 1,2,Both,and Off positions and a Guest 2611 battery charger that I will use at the dock or at home when the boat is on the trailer for charging. What would you guys recommend as a set-up. Should I consider two 6volt house batteries, or stick with three of the same deep cycle batteries? What about AGM batteries, are they worth the additional expense?? How should I set up the wiring and should I use a combiner or a BEP717-100A type system?? What about the alternate charge function from my F-150's. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ed
258 Journey

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
i would get 2 starting batteries, 1 per motor at least 1000 MCA
2 deep cycle for the runs
interstate makes a good battery
i like flooded cell batteries than agm

plus the 150 have the aux charging leads, so you could charge all 4 batteries when motors are running

when jimmy gets back he will post 8)

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree, my 265 express has 3 batteries, one battery bank is the house bank which also starts the stbd side engine. The other battery is just a start battery for the port engine. The batteries can be ran so that the port battery is never tied in with the others, and if kept in good condition should not ever die which means even if you kill the other side, you can start one engine and change your battery selector to charge the other side and be running within a few minutes. Any boat with twins should really have 3 batteries. If you want more info, Jimmy at Jimmy's Marine had dealt with this a few times and knows the right and wrong ways of doing this, he would be a good guy to inquire with. I think he might have a forum topic about this as well if you search his posts.