Best for overnight fishing trips? Need room to sleep...

cultusby

Reaction score
I am a wanabee Grady White owner and am looking to buy a 1990-1999 vintage 23' Gulfstream or a 22' Seafarer for overnight fishing trips on Puget Sound. I am 6'3" and will take another fisherman with me. Which of these two Grady White boats has a forward berth that is long enough and big enough to fit a couple of "size large" fishermen?
Thanks.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You would be cramped in a Seafarer. I'm only 5'6" and don't have a problem stretching out but don't think there's an extra foot of room. I've overnighted with teenage child comfortably.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Neither of those two models have all that much room in the cabin, so sleeping bags in the cockpit would be the way to go. Try visiting a dealer that has those models, and check them out, to see first-hand.

gw204

Reaction score
You need a Sailfish at minimum. Even then you'll only be able to put one person in the v-berth and one in the aft-berth.

I'm 6' and I actually fit better in the aft-berth than I do in the v.

townvet

Reaction score
I had a 2008 Gulfstream and am 6 foot 3. Was not comfortable sleeping in it at all. Did it twice and then traded it in.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With 2 people, one in the V and one in a tent on the deck. To be inside you need a Sailfish at a minimum but a Marlin will be better. I'm 6-1 and nobody would want to be next to me in the V.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I owned a Seafarer for 10 years..Slept on it all the time. Heck, slept two many times..Slept with my head aft, feet facing forward. The V-berth makes for a better choice for 2 than the Gulfstream.
I currently own a 232 Gulf and sleep in it for 2 weeks at a time on vacation. NO prob...can't wait for the next trip.
The upper bunk in the 232 works, but is not ideal. This configuration technically sleeps 2, but the Seafarer, as I said is the better choice for the second person.
Also must mention I am 5' 11" and stretched out on the Seafarer and my Gulfstream.
I suppose everyone's tolerance level and preferences are different, just like everything in life. If I had a Marlin or Sailfish, I'd probably just sell out and move aboard. I can't imagine having that much room below..That would be like a house to me.
Looks like your best move is to get in those cabins yourself and make the call. I would NOT have bought my 232 if I couldn't slept on it..That was my main focus.

ahill

Reaction score
I have a 272 I'm 6'2" and wife is 5'7" The only problem is foot room at the fwd end of the V berth. The head side berth is longer than the galley side berth.
The aft Berth is good for one adult or a few kids but is primarily used for storage. I have an aft bimini and have had 2-3 berth there on air mattreses. Not bad unless there is wind driven rain.

cultusby

Reaction score
Wow, great advice from all! Thanks!
I need to stick with the smaller (22 foot) boat because 90% of the time I will just run out and fish for 2-4 hours and head back home. Sounds like the Seafarer has a somewhat cramped but more accomodating layout for two people. I will also take a look at setting up a sleepling bag in the cockpit. My next research is to get some dimensions for the cockpit and the forwar berth (length, head to toe). Only one GW dealer in the Seattle area and they don't have much in used boats so dimensions will be challenging to attain.
Thanks again for all that sent along their advice.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You have to find the boat for sale and take your buddy and lay in there, just like trying out a mattress.

If you ever camped out in a lean-to tent and find it acceptable, so will the smaller Grady cabin boats be.

To use the head however, better place that outside the cabin on the bridge or cockpit.

And you may not be able to stretch out all the way, I sleep on my side with my kneees bent so no issue with me at 6ft 1 in.

I slept overnight in a 20 footer "Overnighter" for a season - better than a lean- to especially when it rains out!

A buddy and his girfriend and German Sheppard slept overnight several years on same model 20 ft Grday.

As with most boats owners (tent owner too), there's always a bigger boat to get and look forward to upgrading one day.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just what BobP said.

There's always something better to dream about, but I assure you when it rains and I'm in my 232 cabin with the reading lite on, I'm happy to be there and not complaining.

My only inconveinence would be that I have to limit what I keep on board in the way of gear, bags, etc. as it can easily get cramped. This just makes you condense down more on individual trips. You'd be surprised what you can do without, although I'd hesitate suggesting this to your "significant other."