Best Forward tilt angle for radar on '94 Sailfish?

bpilt

Reaction score
Any recommendations for the best forward tilt angle for an 18" radome installed on a '94 Sailfish Sport Bridge? This is the flat (no dome) hard top. The bridge would almost always be down when using the radar. Thanks!

LI Grady

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the angle should be in the 3-4% range to counteract the bow rise.

On my other boat I bought an adjustable base and experimented until I got the view I wanted. I got the base through Consumer Marine Electronics. It was a lot better and easier then dealing with shims.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The hardtops are pretty level, I never needed a wedge.

If it's not level to the sea while sitting in the marina, add the wedge.

Anding a wedge doesn't likely have any adverse impact )ther than added cost) unless the top is tilted doen to begin with, then rearward vision on the drift mat be compromised, if that's a concern, as it is with me.

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Radar angle

The radar beam is in the neighborhood of 25 degrees up and down and 5 degrees side to side. This varies by unit. Shimming the radome makes little sense because the boat rises and falls on waves and acceleration. The radar manufactures design this into the units.

I once saw a guy putting a level on the hardtop trying to figure the wedge to make the radome sit level. I asked him what he is going to do once he adds another person or throttles the boat up. When he realized this his look was priceless.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sailfish, I believe the angle is 12.5 deg up and 12.5 deg down for a 25 deg. vertical window.

At the mimimum, you may not see the target sooner than you could have otherwise.
At the other end especially on off planning speeds, you may not see it at all.