Bilge & Cabin Heaters - 360 Express

Texoma

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with bilge and cabin heaters and/or keeping a boat in use throughout the winter? I plan on keeping my 360 in the water for the winter (I live in North Texas and the striper fishing is killer during this time of year).

My plan is to install an Xtreme 300W bilge heater in the aft rigging compartment, a West Marine portable cabin heater in the saloon and possibly a second in the aft cabin. I’m considering a second heater in the aft cabin since the waste tank, hot water heater and quite a few of the hot and cold water lines run through this area.

Xtreme Bilge Heater : http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50671

Cabin Heater: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50671

I’d like to keep all systems operational if possible i.e. pressurized fresh water, hot water, vacuum flush head, diesel generator etc. if possible. I plan on running the above system with all the access hatches and under sink doors open to prevent any freezing in the saloon. Compared to the north our winters are fairly mild however, we occasionally do get a northern blast with freezing temps for a week or so straight.

Do you think a 300W bilge heater is enough for the aft rigging compartment? That’s where the fresh water tank, fresh water lines, diesel tank/generator and batteries live. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks in advance!

Texoma

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We have been in the water since Nov 2002, only coming out for engine maintenance and bottom work, as needed. We use the boat all year, although certainly less frequently in February and March as the fishing opportunities a fewer.

I am not familiar with the weather in your area. How cold does the water get around the boat? How cold does the air get? If below freezing, how many hours duration at low temp?

Our boat is a good bit smaller, with fewer auxiliary systems, but I use just the Westmarine heater in the cabin to keep it warm - and dry - down below. The bilge temp is more dependent on the surrounding water temp than the air temp, and we have never had anything freeze in the bilge or the cabin area.

The water line to the transom hand-held shower is much more susceptible to freezing. I usually treat the FW system so I can get some of the "pink antifreeze" mixture up into that line. An alternative would be to install a low point drain and isolation valve in that line, so it could be kept dry during the cold season. In fact, I may look into doing that.

When we do have any sustained period of below freezing temps, I lower the engines into the water, to protect the gearboxes.

Brian

Texoma

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the weather in your area. How cold does the water get around the boat? How cold does the air get? If below freezing, how many hours duration at low temp?

The water probably averages in the upper 30s to low 40s in the dead of winter. The air temps are about the same however we do occasionally get arctic blasts from the north, that can last up to a week, with high temps in the low 30s and low temps in the upper 20s. These are rare but happen once or twice every winter. I've only seen a thin layer of ice (in the marinas) a couple of times in 15 years and it's usually gone within a day or so.

bhemi

Reaction score
I live in Canada on the Westcoast and keep my boat in the water year around in a boatshed. I use a West marine heater year around to keep a little heat in the boat. I have been through two in 6 years of continuous use. Not bad for $50. You get no mold, mildew, condensation or bad smells if you keep just a little heat on. To use on the water of course you need to use your generator. If you're serious about on the water heat look up Webasto or Espar heaters. If you have a diesel gennie at least you already have diesel on board. Webasto air heaters draw less than 1 amp and use tablespoons of diesel per hour. They sell on eBay for about $2000 for the whole kit.

Texoma

Reaction score
@bhemi - Thanks for the info. I'll check out the heaters on Ebay. Do you also use a bilge heater or just a cabin heater? Not sure which Grady model you have. My previous Grady - 24' offshore - has no fresh water system, galley or head so a bilge heater wasn't necessary.

Thanks...

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I wouldn't over think this. You can get a portable cabin heater and set it at the entrance to the aft berth. Then, leave the access hatches open back there. That'll take care of your fresh water, salt water, and hot water heater. If it gets really cold for a short spell just pump out all the fresh water, put 10 gallons of non tox in the tank and pump it through all of the systems.

If you do have to do the non tox thing you can add non tox directly to the sea strainers for the genset and the A/C - 20 minutes.

Don't forget the windshield wipers and the winterization valve on your ice maker (Easy access through the port where the garbage is). It'll take an hour and if you only have to do it once or twice it's no big deal. There's really not much in the rear bilge to worry about. If you got a really deep freeze you might have problems with the sea strainers but I doubt that water will ever really get cold enough.