Bilge electrical and Steering Wheel question

Bust it Big

Reaction score
I have some extra time for some maintenance and have been able to get everything I wanted done expect for two problems.

My front Bilge breaker keeps tripping. I do know that I have left it running by accident on more than one occasion. Is the bilge pump fried?

My steering wheel seem to have some extra play, I guess from years of rough conditions with captain holding on tight. I thought if I remove the steering wheel I might be able to tighten something further down to remove this extra play; however, I can't get the wheel to budge after removing the retaining bolt. Any ideas??

seasick

Reaction score
The bilge pump is probably bad but there is a small possibility that the breaker is going. You can't be sure unless you swap the breaker/feed to another known good breaker.
You didn't mention what kind of steering you have but if mechanical, there is not a lot you can do at the helm to remove the play. You need a steering wheel/ gear puller to loosen the wheel and you need to stay away from being in line with the wheel when you pull it if you value your teeth:) Regardless, after you pull the wheel you won't find anything to adjust. You could have a steering cable going bad or just play in the steering box. Some play (1/4 turn or less) is typical especially for older Teleflex NFBs.

Bust it Big

Reaction score
I switched out the breaker this afternoon and still tripped. I will pull the pump out tomorrow and see if there is anything stuck.

When referring to play in steering wheel. I was not referring to how much you have to turn wheel but how "shaky" it feels when grabbing it. Is there a way to tighten that up?

seasick

Reaction score
Bust it Big said:
I switched out the breaker this afternoon and still tripped. I will pull the pump out tomorrow and see if there is anything stuck.

When referring to play in steering wheel. I was not referring to how much you have to turn wheel but how "shaky" it feels when grabbing it. Is there a way to tighten that up?
If you have tilt, there may be a loose connection buy usually the joint just has some play. To check, you will need to pull the wheel. Try pushing and pulling the wheel. It really shouldn't have movement foward and aft. If it does, you will need to investigate.

Bust it Big

Reaction score
Well I went in and pulled the bilge out of strainer and did not find anything stuck and the impeller was not jammed either. I guess that means it is time to replace. ANy thoughts before I spend $40?

seasick

Reaction score
Bust it Big said:
Well I went in and pulled the bilge out of strainer and did not find anything stuck and the impeller was not jammed either. I guess that means it is time to replace. ANy thoughts before I spend $40?
40 bucks sounds cheap for a good bilge pump.