BIlge pump float switch

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After 10 years my float switch finally bit the dust. The same switch by Sure Bail is no longer available so I replaced it with the new version from the same company. My thinking was that the first lasted a long time, possibly indicating quality by the manufacturer and the new one had the same footprint so no additional holes needed to be drilled.

This one hasn't lasted ten weeks. It stayed in the on position and no amount of coaxing would turn it off. It was only a fluke that I heard the pump running and checked it out. Lucky I did beofre the switch burned out the pump.

So now I am contemplating what to do about a replacement. This one is under warranty but I am more interested in getting something that will last like the first one.

What have y'all had success with?

glemboh

Reaction score
Wow, I could have written the same experience as you had. Last summer, My 1997 sure Bail (blue) float swich failed after 15 years. I, like you also felt that 15 years of service was justified to purchase another,although expensive. Well that one (white) lasted three months and failed in the open position. Fortunetly, I looked at the old one and found it only had some debris in it that hung it up. Well I cleaned the old one up and put it back in and it`s still purring along. As for the new failed unit, I returned it to West Marine who ordered me in a new one under warranty. Now I am aliittle afraid to use it when needed, for fear of failure. Anyone else experience this with Sure Bail ?

Thanks,
Glemboh

gw204

Reaction score
I was able to get a new blue Sure Bail switch through Boatfix in Mar 2011. I had to contact their customer service dept. to see if it was available though as it wasn't in their online catalog.

They told me they were adding it to the catalog, but I'm not sure if it's still available. Part number was DEL30.

88LIovernighter

Reaction score
i've worked at a marina for almost 4 years and we've used nothing but RULE pumps/switches, and they seem to work pretty well.